Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01/24/2017, 12:17 PM   #76
Bagabaga
Registered Member

2 days ago my alk was 12, yesterday was 11 so I'm hoping that when I test later it's at 10 or 11. I'll try and let it drop a little slower by dosing a bit here and there. I think I'll try a less saturated kalk mixture next time and see if it stays stable or fluctuates.

I like my new jbj auto top off system. It really makes the system look better with the top off water next to the tank instead of above it.

Haven't found anyone yet that has any bordsnest or stylo or other easier sps they want to trade or don't need anymore. Patience has paid off before.

Coralline algae seems to have faded almost completely but my snails are growing like mad. One turbo has grown over half an inch of shell in a month. Some new heads on the lps as well which is exciting. The trumpet is dying back I think it didn't like the higher alkalinity.

I'll post again in a day or two.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5659.jpg (73.1 KB, 89 views)
Bagabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2017, 03:31 PM   #77
Bagabaga
Registered Member

So mistakes were made and my ato is not a good kalkwasser solution. It ended up raising and lowering my alk too rapidly in the last two weeks and I have rtn on my acropora and montipora. My alk swung from 12 to 8 in a couple days time and back to 10 today.

Tested calcium and it's over 500. I'm doing a water change today of 25% and hope that stabilizes things.

My nitrates are between 20 and 40 on the API test kit. And phosphate is a rock bottom zero which I don't believe for a minute. Probably a faulty test. I added a ml of prime to the tank water and added it back hoping that helps any stability issues as well.

Any advice is welcome. I'm running Kent reef salt so I hope it at least takes out the nitrate and stabilizes my calcium.

I wish I had more of a local mentor to help me in these situations but alas I work nights now and it's harder to gag out having a gaggle of kids and all.

Last edited by Bagabaga; 01/28/2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Meant to say 25% not 35
Old 02/01/2017, 02:54 AM   #78
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Conditions have stabilized and flesh has stopped melting. Color's returned quickly and I'm now using a diy method to catch detritus in my water column. Need to get my reactor running again with carbon to help with water issues.

Alk has stabilized at 9 for now.

Old 02/08/2017, 02:11 PM   #79
Bagabaga
Registered Member

New parameter checks out at:
calcium is 500-520
alkalinity is at 9dkh
phosphate read lower than .25 on API tester
Nitrate I can't even read because of my color blind affliction. But I'll include a picture and hope someone can help me determine what it is.

Also the acro has slowed on its tissue dying but not quit yet. I thought no a combo of high calcium and maybe nitrate is the culprit. I'm doing my water changes but I use Kent reef salt which isn't helping lower my calcium at all.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5836.jpg (42.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 02/08/2017, 02:55 PM   #80
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I read through your updated posts the other day, sorry for not acknowledging. The public are still interested! Thanks for the updates.

Glad the tank is stabilizing. You can always add a half or less a teaspoon of kalk powder to the ATO reservoir. Of course, it needs to be working well too. Some people have even gone as far as using a pH controller, or a controller that has a pH probe, to turn off the ATO if the pH gets too high (which would correlate with high alk and calcium from an overdose).

Acros aren't dead until you finally see algae fill in. I'll take a pic if you're interested of an acro that died up to the axial corallite (the polyp on the end of a branch), and now it is slowly starting to grow back downwards over the algae that moved into its skeleton.

If you want to push down the alkalinity and calcium, you can always add a tiny bit of vinegar. very small quantities, but they'll drop pH, alkalinity, and calcium if added. White vinegar is ideal. It'll also lower your nutrients a bit as well, since it'll release carbon.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2017, 08:20 PM   #81
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! I was documenting in the mean time.

I'll add kalk again at a lesser dose when my calcium gets lower. The acro still has flesh but where it's showing skeleton there is algae.

I'll also dose a little vinegar instead of vodka for a little while and test every other day for calcium until it gets lower. I've also begun to mechanically remove detritus after my vacation.

Also found out chaeto is growing UNDER my cutting board. I'm considering removing it anyway and going true bare bottom. What do you think?

Old 02/10/2017, 02:58 AM   #82
Bagabaga
Registered Member

My bloody heater was running a lot lately and I took a median of 4 different temperatures with my internal thermostat and two meat thermometers (I'm a chef) and my median was 82 degrees and my heater was set to 78. I turned it down to 72/74 on the top and hope that takes care of the problem for now until I can get a new heater. Stupid thing was new a few months ago.

Old 02/10/2017, 09:31 AM   #83
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Yea, heaters are finnicky. That's why it's usually recommended to put them on a temperature controller, whether that be a single temperature controller (rancor, etc) or a full-fledged aquarium controller (Apex, reefkeeper, etc), because historically the thermostats have been terrible and prone to failure on heaters. Just something to consider, particularly as you start collecting livestock and investing in them. A $150 reefkeeper lite or $100 rancor temp controller will save you $$$$ and a lot of heartache.

Old 02/10/2017, 10:32 AM   #84
Diana A
Registered Member

Bagabaga - this is the first time I am seeing your posts. Very interesting read and seeing your tank's progress.

ReefWreak -
Quote:
"Acros aren't dead until you finally see algae fill in. I'll take a pic if you're interested of an acro that died up to the axial corallite...."
I would be interested in seeing this. I am a visual learner...most photographers are

Current Tank Info: 180g SPS started March 2014--- 90g SPS started May 2016 both bare bottom...60g LPS/Softies with sand
Diana A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2017, 02:08 PM   #85
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Yeah I'm considering a controller of some sort but it may be another year or so. I usually make big purchases around tax season and this year is kids clothes, birthdays and hopefully my rodi system.

Thanks for reading through my posts Diana!

Old 02/10/2017, 02:19 PM   #86
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana aliprandi View Post
ReefWreak -

I would be interested in seeing this. I am a visual learner...most photographers are
I'll post tonight, but as a photographer, you will most likely be disappointed

Old 02/10/2017, 08:58 PM   #87
Bagabaga
Registered Member

So regarding my cutting board, should I remove it? I see bristle worms and chaeto u see it and I'm not sure if that's cool or bad.

Old 02/11/2017, 10:57 AM   #88
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I've never liked barebottom, and always imagine that unless you seal the starboard/cuttingboard/whatever underneath from the get-go with silicone or something, it would fill with detritus and other crap and end up causing issues. But I'm sure I'm alone on that.

I'd leave it in. Bristleworms are good, they're just eating the destritus underneath. The Chaeto isn't a problem unless it's bothering you. If it is, maybe pull it out?

Old 02/11/2017, 10:58 AM   #89
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana aliprandi View Post
ReefWreak -

I'm adding them to my thread now, so we stop derailing Bagabaga's thread. Come check it out

Old 02/11/2017, 04:20 PM   #90
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Sorry for posting those there. My bad, I'll see if an admin can move them to my thread.

Old 02/11/2017, 05:04 PM   #91
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Lol no worries on the posts. I like seeing that they are recovering and others have posted pictures here as well.

I like my bare bottom tank and I was only concerned with the chaeto causing issues under the board.

I like the bare bottom because it never grew cyano anywhere and every other tank I've had with substrate has had a bad outbreak of cyano in it.

I'm considering my chaeto to be a good thing for now but worried about how it got there from my overflow/macro algae chamber. Which I may not sure if I ever said much about.

My overflow box is 4"x12"x12" where my emergency and full siphon overflow are and I keep a small led light over some chaeto algae that has slowly grown over the last few months to almost fill the area and will be harvested soon and given away.

I'll post a picture of the valida and it's tissue recession but overnight it lost another mm or so of flesh and I'm seeing white tips forming on the branches. This one may be a goner soon.

I'll try and keep my parameters stable for another 6 weeks and hope to see some growth on my lps corals in that time.

My rodi unit should arrive on Friday and I'll be in business of doing more frequent water changes. My total volume minus rock and all is about 24 gallons. So I'll do weekly 3 gallon water changes. Which is exciting because I found a source of 3 gallon buckets hat used to hold pickled ginger for a sushi restaurant near where I work. Should make changes faster and easier. I'll try using kalk again at the rate of 1/2 tsp per gallon next time. TBH I used full saturation in hopes my coralline algae would take off like it did while I was on vacation and my tank evaporated out with a stuck closed float valve. I should have known better.

My snails have all grown about 3/4 of shell and are happy. Only ones not growing are the full grown nassarius snails. They like my overflow and I have to move them back to the display weekly.

All my lps sway in the current and seem to be happy. I only lost one in my accident and that was a nice green trumpet. And my sps montipora lost some polyps but is holding on better. I thought it was an encrusting forest fire but it's just a red montipora.

Well that's it as far as updates today.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5842.jpg (75.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 02/13/2017, 08:56 PM   #92
Bagabaga
Registered Member

And of course they are dying again. One change this time. Alk is stable and I put 1/2 teaspoon of kalk in 5 gallons of top off water. I'll test again when I'm off work

Old 02/16/2017, 09:19 PM   #93
Bagabaga
Registered Member

My first bucket of rodi water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02/17/2017, 01:30 AM   #94
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Made two 5 gallon buckets tonight and I'll do a 3 gallon water change tomorrow. Some minor changes to set up may occur as I've recently come into some equipment. Going to save up and get this led for my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02/18/2017, 01:10 AM   #95
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Quick questions. I made two gallons of rodi after flushing my new unit for 10 minutes. Is the water still good or should I toss it?

Old 02/19/2017, 10:55 AM   #96
ReefWreak
Registered Member

probably too late, but...

lol I've never flushed my RO/DI. My filters and housing are filthy. Haven't had any problems yet, knock on wood.

Old 02/19/2017, 04:38 PM   #97
Bagabaga
Registered Member

lol I'll say it's good the . I've started using it for top off anyway. I did a 5 gallon water change today and after this I'll start my weekly 3 gallons.

Changes the five light for my chaeto to an led desk lamp in the low kelvin range. It was a light used by another reef keeper and his five was always exploding with chaeto. The finned light I had was too white with blue leds. My chaeto maybe doubled in size in 4 months. Since starting his light I've seen growth.

Also my acro almost full rtn'd it's got a little flesh left. I made a frag rack from a magnetic cleaner and some black egg crate and put the acro and some stuff on it because it's fun.

Euphyllias abd gorgonians are happy!

Oh and my montipora is extending and coloring up again. So I call that a win.

Did I ever mention my detritus sock method is a apple juice bottle with the bottom cut out stuffed with "buffalo snow" from Christmas time? It's a pretty good filter but I came into some egg crate and I'll be making a table from it to hold a sock and start using those.

I'd say all in all I'm setting myself up for success soon.

Old 02/19/2017, 04:38 PM   #98
Bagabaga
Registered Member

lol I'll say it's good the . I've started using it for top off anyway. I did a 5 gallon water change today and after this I'll start my weekly 3 gallons.

Changes the five light for my chaeto to an led desk lamp in the low kelvin range. It was a light used by another reef keeper and his five was always exploding with chaeto. The finned light I had was too white with blue leds. My chaeto maybe doubled in size in 4 months. Since starting his light I've seen growth.

Also my acro almost full rtn'd it's got a little flesh left. I made a frag rack from a magnetic cleaner and some black egg crate and put the acro and some stuff on it because it's fun.

Euphyllias abd gorgonians are happy!

Oh and my montipora is extending and coloring up again. So I call that a win.

Did I ever mention my detritus sock method is a apple juice bottle with the bottom cut out stuffed with "buffalo snow" from Christmas time? It's a pretty good filter but I came into some egg crate and I'll be making a table from it to hold a sock and start using those.

I'd say all in all I'm setting myself up for success soon.

Old 02/24/2017, 02:46 PM   #99
Bagabaga
Registered Member

I ordered the cob led last night. Super excited!

Also did a HUGE no-no, I got a couple fish and didn't quarantine them. Got a Pygmy angel and a pixie hawkfish.

Pseudo didn't like them so he went into time out.

I'm a bad fish daddy... I know.

Over my weekend I changed my plumbing as well from soft to pvc. I think I did pretty well considering the limited space I had. Did two outlets on either side and they are more open than spray nozzles. Lots of flow. My jebao pump is running at 30% now and my herbie keeps up well but not really well.

Corals all look great and sps stopped dying.

Angel is picking at algae all day and hawkfish is eating I hope.

Trumpet coral is making a recovery too.

I THINK MY SNAIL SPAWNED! I'll try and upload a video of it later tonight!

Old 02/27/2017, 11:49 AM   #100
Bagabaga
Registered Member

So being a bad fish owner I misread about the hawkfish being aggressive and he harassed the angel until he died last night. They got along until light out. Going to take him back to the store today.

My light should ship today.

I have a concern about my gorgonian, it seems to be losing color. Anyone know why they would lose color slowly?