Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Reef Breeders LEDs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/17/2017, 09:16 PM   #1
br88dy
Registered Member

Anyone purchased the LumenBar LED strips?

Are there any Reef Breeder owners out there that have purchased the add-on LumenBar LED strips? I recently purchased the 24" V2, but not after many weeks of deliberation. I almost bought a T5 fixture instead because I want really great growth with my new SPS frags.

I know a couple of these LumenBar strips would greatly improve my spread, but I'm wondering what they look like because they're currently only offered in 450nm Royal Blue. That probably wouldn't keep me from buying them, but still. I was hoping to see them before I buy them.

br88dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

They are a newer product, we almost sold out of our first shipment and will be getting more variations soon.

A couple people have asked about custom layouts- we are working on different color setups, right now they are meant to add more blue to the tank since a lot of people run the white channel pretty low. By adding the extra blue you can get more par and still have that deep blue look.

Reef Breeders LLC
Reef_Breeders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2017, 05:32 PM   #3
br88dy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Breeders View Post
we are working on different color setups, right now they are meant to add more blue to the tank since a lot of people run the white channel pretty low.
This is good to hear! I think I'd like to get a regular actinic strip and then maybe later something more mixed. Thanks for the response!

Old 06/26/2017, 11:17 PM   #4
keepLearning
Registered Member

When will the 36 inch LumenBar LED strips be available?

keepLearning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2017, 11:02 PM   #5
br88dy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepLearning View Post
When will the 36 inch LumenBar LED strips be available?
Good question! Maybe Logan will see this and respond

Old 06/30/2017, 07:05 PM   #6
youcallmenny
Registered Member

I want a 48" variety. Hopefully it won't be too long of a wait.

youcallmenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2017, 09:51 PM   #7
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Hold on! We are working on them and will have updates soon

Reef Breeders LLC
Old 07/07/2017, 06:01 PM   #8
youcallmenny
Registered Member

Couldn't wait. Ordered a pair of the 24" ones. I plan on hanging them from the front of my 48" v2 and pointing them inwards to help with the shadowing hopefully. I wanted to add a t5 bulb or two but the convenience of these clipping right on to my existing light made the sale. I'll keep you all posted.

Old 07/07/2017, 11:44 PM   #9
br88dy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youcallmenny View Post
Couldn't wait. Ordered a pair of the 24" ones. I plan on hanging them from the front of my 48" v2 and pointing them inwards to help with the shadowing hopefully. I wanted to add a t5 bulb or two but the convenience of these clipping right on to my existing light made the sale. I'll keep you all posted.
Please share pictures and your thoughts! I almost bought the lumenbars because of the slick brackets that fit perfectly onto the V2. But, I decided to give a couple of SunBlaster T5 fixtures a try first. They're currently zip tied to the V2 hanging kit, but they look slick from the front. I'm going to try and find adjustable brackets somewhere on the internet.

Here is a picture with the bulbs that came with the fixture. I later changed the bulbs to 1 True Actinic and 1 Purple Plus.

My concern is that 2 supplemental bulbs won't be enough to truly encourage my future SPS frags to grow like weeds. If anyone has thoughts on this I'd sure appreciate the insight.

Old 07/08/2017, 07:15 AM   #10
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by br88dy View Post
Please share pictures and your thoughts! I almost bought the lumenbars because of the slick brackets that fit perfectly onto the V2. But, I decided to give a couple of SunBlaster T5 fixtures a try first. They're currently zip tied to the V2 hanging kit, but they look slick from the front. I'm going to try and find adjustable brackets somewhere on the internet.

My concern is that 2 supplemental bulbs won't be enough to truly encourage my future SPS frags to grow like weeds. If anyone has thoughts on this I'd sure appreciate the insight.
The t5's look pretty good there. Do you have plans to attach them with more than just zip ties? If/when you do, please show us how you do it.

I considered asking Logan if he would sell me the brackets for the LumenBars. But I think that would be unfair to buy the brackets and then use somebody else's fixture.

br88dy, I don't think, I KNOW the Photon V2 can grow sps very well all on it's own. I have frags that were new in my tank after I started the Photon V2 and in 8 months some branching sps corals have easily doubled in size. You don't need the t5's for growth. And additional light won't make them grow faster unless you are running the leds at too low a power level. I get all the PAR I want with just the V2. Now I've added 2 strip leds, but that was about changing the look in the tank and not about trying to make the corals grow faster.

It may however help some with getting light under the coral and inside the coral as they become colonies. Some consider this a big drawback to leds. Personally, I've found it to be a fairly unimportant issue, especially with anything but big colonies.

Last edited by Ron Reefman; 07/08/2017 at 07:27 AM.
Ron Reefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2017, 08:00 AM   #11
youcallmenny
Registered Member

I agree with Ron. The v2 is a powerhouse that can provide way more than what is needed for sps. My tank is primarily sps and all I use are v2's over both my display and attached nem tank.

I personally am only looking for a solution to the shadowing. I think providing some angled light will be helpful. I will be trying these strips on the front first and then maybe on the back angled forward with a sun blaster on the front. I think between 3 of us here we can come up with a much improved solution.

I'm looking forward to the experiment! A big thank you to you both for sharing your vastly relevant experiences and also thank you to Logan for all his hard work.

Old 07/08/2017, 11:01 AM   #12
br88dy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
The t5's look pretty good there. Do you have plans to attach them with more than just zip ties? If/when you do, please show us how you do it.
Yes, I've been driving around town hoping to find a bracket that I can adjust so that I can tilt the T5's inward. The zip ties are black and aren't an eye sore, but I want a cleaner look. I'll find something online so that everyone has access to the same parts I do, and I'll show how I do it.

I'm not worried about the PAR output of the V2, but I am a little worried about the spectrum. I'm trying not to use the red LED's because it creates a noticeable disco ball effect. The Purple Plus bulb I bought is supposed to have a good spectrum and T5's reduce the disco ball effect. I just like the added benefits I'm getting with T5's supplements.

Another little project I'm working on is mounting my Kessil A360 to my light stand to add proper shimmer and a more attractive sunrise/sunset phase. I'm going to blast my V2/T5 hybrid for 7 hours and then the Kessil will add a nice angled/directional beam of light into the tank that looks amazing. It looks something like this:

Old 07/08/2017, 11:03 AM   #13
br88dy
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm looking forward to the experiment! A big thank you to you both for sharing your vastly relevant experiences and also thank you to Logan for all his hard work.
As am I! It'll be interesting to see the benefits of each setup. Logan does a great job, I'm glad we have a guy like him.

Old 07/09/2017, 05:33 AM   #14
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

br88dy, I appreciate your efforts to find a good way to mount them. Trust me, if I find a good system, I'll let you know. I ran a small home maintenance company for the last 15 years of my working life, oh, and I built and raced sports cars. So I can be pretty creative when it comes to making something work in a way it wasn't intended!

Old 07/09/2017, 11:11 AM   #15
br88dy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
br88dy, I appreciate your efforts to find a good way to mount them. Trust me, if I find a good system, I'll let you know. I ran a small home maintenance company for the last 15 years of my working life, oh, and I built and raced sports cars. So I can be pretty creative when it comes to making something work in a way it wasn't intended!
Built race cars?! That's awesome! I myself really love that I can tinker and DIY just about everything in this hobby. I love working with my hands. I just have to make sure I leave my hands out of the tank! SPS don't like tinkering lol.

I haven't had any luck yet finding the perfect bracket. I've been pretty busy this weekend. I did find this on amazon and other places online:

I'm going to try and find something similar at Ace or Home Depot in a couple of hours. It'll be easy to add a bolt and nut into the single hole to make it adjustable.

Old 07/10/2017, 05:31 PM   #16
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by br88dy View Post
Built race cars?! That's awesome! I myself really love that I can tinker and DIY just about everything in this hobby. I love working with my hands. I just have to make sure I leave my hands out of the tank! SPS don't like tinkering lol.

I haven't had any luck yet finding the perfect bracket. I've been pretty busy this weekend. I did find this on amazon and other places online:

I'm going to try and find something similar at Ace or Home Depot in a couple of hours. It'll be easy to add a bolt and nut into the single hole to make it adjustable.

Would you be interested in getting just the brackets for the LumenBars? I should be able to order them in for people looking to add T-5s. I thought of doing a T5 kit however it is pretty niche and most people want to add their own brand/kit.

Reef Breeders LLC
Old 07/12/2017, 10:28 AM   #17
br88dy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Breeders View Post
Would you be interested in getting just the brackets for the LumenBars? I should be able to order them in for people looking to add T-5s. I thought of doing a T5 kit however it is pretty niche and most people want to add their own brand/kit.
Yes definitely. I would love to use the brackets that come with the LumenBars. They're adjustable right?

Old 07/14/2017, 12:27 PM   #18
youcallmenny
Registered Member

Got my strips mounted on the back of my v2. I was initially going to try them on the front but the cord between the fixture and the power adapter is very short (3' at most). The brackets are really nice and easy to put on. I have them pointed towards the front at perhaps a 35-40 degree angle. I tried to simulate them by turning the blue up on the v2 first but the angle really helps. Gives a lot of pop to my coral colors.

I am also getting some new brackets from Logan for the 1 lamp 48" sun blaster t5 fixture that'll be here soon. I ordered 2 different ATI bulbs from BRS that I'm going to try in it. It was a toss up between the blue plus and the coral plus. Whichever goes in there will be on the same timer as the lumen strips (currently 10am-6pm) so I'm hoping the coral plus isn't too white. I'll probably drop the v2 settings a tiny bit more when I put this on to compensate.

I'll post pictures when it's all said and done but as for the lumenstrips I'd say they are very nice!

Old 07/14/2017, 09:25 PM   #19
br88dy
Registered Member

Quote:
Got my strips mounted on the back of my v2. I was initially going to try them on the front but the cord between the fixture and the power adapter is very short (3' at most). The brackets are really nice and easy to put on. I have them pointed towards the front at perhaps a 35-40 degree angle. I tried to simulate them by turning the blue up on the v2 first but the angle really helps. Gives a lot of pop to my coral colors.

I am also getting some new brackets from Logan for the 1 lamp 48" sun blaster t5 fixture that'll be here soon. I ordered 2 different ATI bulbs from BRS that I'm going to try in it. It was a toss up between the blue plus and the coral plus. Whichever goes in there will be on the same timer as the lumen strips (currently 10am-6pm) so I'm hoping the coral plus isn't too white. I'll probably drop the v2 settings a tiny bit more when I put this on to compensate.

I'll post pictures when it's all said and done but as for the lumenstrips I'd say they are very nice!
Awesome! The coral plus is pretty white, but you should be able to compensate by turning up the blues on your V2! Keep us posted!

Old 07/15/2017, 10:31 AM   #20
youcallmenny
Registered Member

If that's the case than I'll probably be using the blue plus. I've already had to turn ch.3 down by about 10-15% due to adding the strips. We'll see though, maybe if it looks good I"ll just turn down the whites some more and call it good. I'm excited to get it on there. All the parts should be here in the next couple of days, just waiting on Logan to get back to me about selling/shipping me the brackets. I've never used t5's for reefing (just horticulture) so I'm really excited to see what this is going to do. My tank is looking better than it has in a long time!

Old 07/21/2017, 04:20 PM   #21
youcallmenny
Registered Member

Well, I got the t5 on there and have to say I prefer the Coral Plus. All around I think this frankenstein light is reducing shadows quite a bit. Just wanted to say thanks to Logan for providing stellar customer service as usual and then to Ron and br88dy for the inspiration.

Tank looks FANTASTIC compared to pre-upgrades.

Couple of tank shots. Photo hosting is being weird so I used imgur. Still looks a lot bluer than it actually appears in real life. I'm going to have to work on some DSLR skills here.

http://imgur.com/hnLdNj8
http://imgur.com/FuhynwX
http://imgur.com/uS6HH4N
http://imgur.com/WP6LXXO

Oh and before anyone makes fun of my return plumbing, I have a giant BRS order that'll be here in a couple days that will completely replace my returns with schedule 80 and loc-line.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170721_150221.jpg (34.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by youcallmenny; 07/22/2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07/24/2017, 10:17 AM   #22
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, I got the t5 on there and have to say I prefer the Coral Plus. All around I think this frankenstein light is reducing shadows quite a bit. Just wanted to say thanks to Logan for providing stellar customer service as usual and then to Ron and br88dy for the inspiration.

Tank looks FANTASTIC compared to pre-upgrades.

Couple of tank shots. Photo hosting is being weird so I used imgur. Still looks a lot bluer than it actually appears in real life. I'm going to have to work on some DSLR skills here.

http://imgur.com/hnLdNj8
http://imgur.com/FuhynwX
http://imgur.com/uS6HH4N
http://imgur.com/WP6LXXO

Oh and before anyone makes fun of my return plumbing, I have a giant BRS order that'll be here in a couple days that will completely replace my returns with schedule 80 and loc-line.
how do you like the sunblaster t5 fixture?

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2017, 11:44 AM   #23
youcallmenny
Registered Member

It's great! Really cheap and the different light type really adds a lot to the overall presentation. The fixture was easy to attach with the lumenstrip brackets and looks slick.

My biggest complaint is that it's a very bright bulb and it's annoying having to see it . I ordered a second 4' reflector that I'm going to cut on my table saw and glue to the front of the original fixture to block some of the light from the front.

Old 07/24/2017, 12:14 PM   #24
br88dy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
how do you like the sunblaster t5 fixture?
I'll chime in on this one, too. My 2 Sunblasters are 8.5" above the water surface and they've increased my PAR (in a good way). They look fantastic if used with ATI bulbs. It depends on what kind of look you're going for, but I really like the Actinic Plus and the Purple Plus. Not too much white, and not too blue.

With 2 bulbs I still have a shimmer on the sand but the shadows have been drastically reduced. If you can figure out a slick way to attach them to your V2, that'd be the only thing standing in your way. I plan on buying the LumenBar brackets if I can.

Quote:
It's great! Really cheap and the different light type really adds a lot to the overall presentation. The fixture was easy to attach with the lumenstrip brackets and looks slick.

My biggest complaint is that it's a very bright bulb and it's annoying having to see it . I ordered a second 4' reflector that I'm going to cut on my table saw and glue to the front of the original fixture to block some of the light from the front.
How can I get my hands on those LumenBar brackets?! I need!

I also agree that it's annoying to see the bulbs, but mine naturally tilt towards the middle of the tank thanks to the daisy chain power cord that connects the two. It pulls them towards each other, making them tilt inward. But, I really want to buy some LumenBar brackets! That would make for a much cleaner look.

Old 07/24/2017, 12:19 PM   #25
br88dy
Registered Member

I apologize for the Photobucket images being lost. I don't plan on paying for a subscription to host with them if I can find someone else that does it for free. (Imgbb.com seems to work really nicely)