Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread
Old 06/19/2017, 05:37 PM   #1
anthonys51
Registered Member

Ritteri anemone

Had this anemone for over a year 3 months ago it split and started to hide for 6 weeks Turned up my lights too high bleached a few things.

It finally came back to Health but one side of one of my anemones has bubble tips. Is this common I didn't know other anemones can form bubble tips besides bta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my sump is bigger than yours :)
yes size counts

Current Tank Info: 265 main tank, 2x 80 frag tanks, 57 macro tank, 200 gallon sump
Old 06/19/2017, 05:40 PM   #2
anthonys51
Registered Member

Has anyone heard of this people keep saying it's a bta but I have 3 bta. It doesn't look nothing like them and it stretches out much farther than any bta I ever had

yes size counts

Current Tank Info: 265 main tank, 2x 80 frag tanks, 57 macro tank, 200 gallon sump
Old 06/19/2017, 06:23 PM   #3
Bullitt1564
Registered Member

Can you post more pictures it's hard too see the nem and as far as I know mags have never shown bulb tips

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 06/19/2017, 06:27 PM   #4
anthonys51
Registered Member

This is of the one with the bubble and one without
Plus I have never seen a bta that color plus do you see how spread out it is. The anemone isn't roundish

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 06:28 PM   #5
davocean
Registered Member

While mags can and do split, it's not super common, but it is super common for a BTA to split, especially after newly introduced to tank, so couple that w/ the bubbled tents I'd say a good chance it really is a BTA, and yes some BTA's can look different even in the same tank.
I've had BTA specific tanks where some bubbled and the others were long and stringy, some went to stronger light and flow, some went away from it.

It would be nice to see more clear pics under more daylight type lighting showing the base and column for best ID, that is much better for a positive ID than tents alone.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Old 06/19/2017, 06:28 PM   #6
anthonys51
Registered Member

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 06:30 PM   #7
anthonys51
Registered Member

This is it when I got it 18 months ago

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 06:32 PM   #8
anthonys51
Registered Member

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 06:36 PM   #9
anthonys51
Registered Member

See how it sticks to the rock bta don't do that. This is the one without the bubbles

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 06:38 PM   #10
anthonys51
Registered Member

I was also blasting the original one with 2 G4 radion at 95 precent

Then I bleached all my monti and even some acro. I am new to acro I had tank at 70. Then I added lots of arco waited a month increases to 95. Stupid I know

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 06:38 PM   #11
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

Does it have any white lines around the mouth.

Old 06/19/2017, 06:40 PM   #12
anthonys51
Registered Member

There is white around the opening to the mouth. Can't really see a line I shoot a good picture of the mouth. Can you tell if it's white line

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 06:41 PM   #13
anthonys51
Registered Member

In the left is it before it split on the right its the gbta. They don't look alike. The shape of the tenciles are different

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 07:46 PM   #14
D-Nak
Registered Member

100% BTA. Magnifica have blunt tipped tentacles, never a point and then bulbous, which is indicative of a BTA. Tentacle length is not a good indicator of species. BTAs can have extremely long tentacles.

Old 06/19/2017, 07:57 PM   #15
anthonys51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
100% BTA. Magnifica have blunt tipped tentacles, never a point and then bulbous, which is indicative of a BTA. Tentacle length is not a good indicator of species. BTAs can have extremely long tentacles.
look up to the pictures, you will see one where the anemone is sticking to the rock. bta simple do not do that. there whole base is always unattached to the rock please advise ?

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 08:00 PM   #16
anthonys51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
While mags can and do split, it's not super common, but it is super common for a BTA to split, especially after newly introduced to tank, so couple that w/ the bubbled tents I'd say a good chance it really is a BTA, and yes some BTA's can look different even in the same tank.
I've had BTA specific tanks where some bubbled and the others were long and stringy, some went to stronger light and flow, some went away from it.

It would be nice to see more clear pics under more daylight type lighting showing the base and column for best ID, that is much better for a positive ID than tents alone.
they would spilt if they got bleached. anemones spilt when they are in trouble or dying. it gives them a better chance of survival. if this one didnt have a bubble on its tips would you think it was a bta. have anyone every seen a pinkish gray bubble tip with white tips before. i haven't in all my years in this hobby.

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 08:08 PM   #17
anthonys51
Registered Member

http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Cor...ne#Description

they are also called bulb tip anemones.

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 08:45 PM   #18
pfan151
Registered Member

They are definitely bubble tips. Nice ones though.

Old 06/19/2017, 08:47 PM   #19
anthonys51
Registered Member

No one is responding to my questions about why it's sticking to the rocks or why is it purple.

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 08:50 PM   #20
anthonys51
Registered Member

Plus the foot is totally under the rock while the anemone is above the rock. Bta don't really stretch that far Please no more comments it's a bubble tip. Please answer the questions on if bta are purple, if they stick to rock with its disk and if they can stretch there foot 6 inches

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 08:51 PM   #21
anthonys51
Registered Member

Ps that's a bubble tip

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 08:55 PM   #22
anthonys51
Registered Member

Not a bta

yes size counts

Old 06/19/2017, 09:39 PM   #23
D-Nak
Registered Member

First, I'll answer your questions:

1. if bta are purple

YES. They're common.

2. if they stick to rock with its disk

Typically NO. My understanding is that they don't have verrucae.

3. if they can stretch there foot 6 inches

YES. I've seen some stretch longer than that. They look silly, but it happens.

Second, we've gone over this already...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2523081

Furthermore, generally speaking, BTA like to hide their foot. Magnifica do not. They spread their foot out like a fried egg on top of a flat rock.

To be completely honest with you... it does look like you have two different anemones. One is a BTA and the other is a magnifica. I don't think your nem hid and split. I think you may have purchased what you thought were BTAs on separately occasions where one was really a BTA and the other was actually a magnifica. I say this because their postures and appearance are completely different. The one in the rocks is 100% BTA. The one on the back wall is the suspect anemone that could be a magnifica. It looks a lot like the one that I used to have (photo in the thread I linked).

However, if you watched it split and you know that you only bought one nem , then by deduction they are both BTAs simply because one of them is CLEARLY, 100% without a doubt, a BTA (that's doing a good job pretending that it's a magnifica).

Old 06/19/2017, 09:46 PM   #24
anthonys51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
First, I'll answer your questions:

1. if bta are purple

YES. They're common.

2. if they stick to rock with its disk

Typically NO. My understanding is that they don't have verrucae.

3. if they can stretch there foot 6 inches

YES. I've seen some stretch longer than that. They look silly, but it happens.

Second, we've gone over this already...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2523081

Furthermore, generally speaking, BTA like to hide their foot. Magnifica do not. They spread their foot out like a fried egg on top of a flat rock.

To be completely honest with you... it does look like you have two different anemones. One is a BTA and the other is a magnifica. I don't think your nem hid and split. I think you may have purchased what you thought were BTAs on separately occasions where one was really a BTA and the other was actually a magnifica. I say this because their postures and appearance are completely different. The one in the rocks is 100% BTA. The one on the back wall is the suspect anemone that could be a magnifica. It looks a lot like the one that I used to have (photo in the thread I linked).

However, if you watched it split and you know that you only bought one nem , then by deduction they are both BTAs simply because one of them is CLEARLY, 100% without a doubt, a BTA (that's doing a good job pretending that it's a magnifica).

Lol. Like your response. I didn't watch them spilt. But I do know I didn't buy a bta

Purple very common. I never seen a purple bta with a white mouth and white tips. Please show me a picture.
Also you see from the picture the anemones sticking to the rock
So bubbles means 100 precent bubble tip but the fact it sticks to the rock unlike a bubble tip means it's still a bubble tip

So if I take out the rock what can I look for to see if it's a bta or ritteri I know my bta will strink down almost nothing. With ritteri do that too. I only moved it once out if water. Don't remember if it did that

yes size counts

Old 06/20/2017, 06:34 AM   #25
Swayze27
Registered Member

Judging by the face and what I can see around the mouth it's definitely a BTA. It sounds like you are upset by this news but obviously you like the anemone so just accept that it's a BTA and care for it. I have 2 mags this color and the faces around the mouth have no white in them. Yours appear to have the typical white lines around the mouth which is a good indication of BTA. Some BTA have tentacles longer than magnifica, so as stated in other posts, the absence of bulbs and long tentacle length does not make it a ritteri/ magnifica. You bought a BTA, so either the wrong item was shipped to you or it was mislabeled/ misidentified in LFS, it happens. Many post on here asking what in the world kind of anemone they have, some are very similar to other species and you have to pay close attention to detail. Good luck and at least you got a free anemone already out of the deal.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon w/ 55 gallon sump
Closed Thread