Reef Central Online Community
Tampa Bay Saltwater

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/08/2017, 12:30 PM   #2626
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

I still like the 'analog' dump buckets, in all their low-tech glory. Probably a bit noisy for home use though. I would love to figure out a way to get some wave action in my tank. My old Tunze classic powerhead that's hidden in the fake mangrove can be set to pulse, but the sound of it going up and down is too annoying.

The drop off tank style is cool too, but I will never go deeper than twenty four inches again. Too hard to clean.

Any updates for you, Chasmodes?

Current Tank Info: 180g Caribbean Biotope Seagrass-Mangrove Mudbank Lagoon
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2017, 12:41 PM   #2627
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Eastlake, please feel free to comment and ask questions anytime. It's pretty quiet these days, down here in the macro section, so it's great to get posts. Yep, the marine planted tank keeper is a rare breed of weirdo, and I'm up there with the weirdest…

I miss my gramma harem a lot, and plan to do another one, once it's appropriate to do so. They're so freaking awesome in a group like that! Those cuban grammas are gorgeous. I haven't seen them for sale, but I imagine they're pricey!

Cheers!

Current Tank Info: 180g Caribbean Biotope Seagrass-Mangrove Mudbank Lagoon
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2017, 06:42 AM   #2628
Chasmodes
Registered Member

No updates Michael, as I've been on fishin' trips the past three weekends On one of them, I took my new collecting dip net and checked out some potential collecting spots. I also had a limited amount of time. They turned out to be a bust (no blennies there, wrong habitat), but I found other potential ones that I'll try and check out this weekend. I still have a lot to do with my tank, but am slowly getting things done. I have all of my equipment purchased, just need to get it done. It's tough to work on a fish tank if I'm away on fishing trips

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2017, 12:15 PM   #2629
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Any updates? How is the tank going?

I spent Father's Day with my daughter on a sampling trip, collecting benthic brackish species but not for an aquarium, rather, for a scientific study. But, I also used this as an opportunity to scout out collecting spots for blennies and other stuff that will go in my tank. The trip this time was a success. You can read the full report if you want on the NANFA page, but one picture for me is worth a thousand words. The meat and the salad:

Ain't he (or she) cute? It was the only blenny that we caught, a juvenile Chasmodes bosquianus (striped blenny). It was only about 1.3 cm long at the most. We also caught plenty of other species (a four-spined stickleback, naked gobies and small skilletfish among them). I so wanted to bring them all home and quickly set up a 10 gallon tank for them, but didn't want to put them through a cycle of stress. I think that I'll set up the 10 gallon this week. We took specific gravity measurements at each place, so I know that I can start a tank up with those parameters.

Notice the macro algae? We found a ton of Ulva, some Gracilaria sp. and another type of green macro that I'm not sure of yet. I'm very excited about the macros too.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass