Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 08/20/2018, 08:28 PM   #51
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

New update -

I was checking out a LFS I had not been to previously and they had a really nice green Haddoni Carpet anemone, so I decided to get it. They only wanted $45 for it, and the last one I had years ago cost me close to $200.

I also took the Primes off the tank and shipped them out to their new owner. I was supposed to get my new Hydra 26HD's thursdays, but there have been issued with UPS and I am still waiting for them to be delivered. In the mean time, I have a pair of PAR38 bulbs over the tank and they seem to be doing OK. I placed a light directly over each anemone since everything else in the tank is low light.

I attached a short video of the tank as it sits right now with the new anemone and the PAR38 bulbs over it.

40 breeder 08-20-2018 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

Old 08/22/2018, 11:05 PM   #52
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

I finally got the Hydra 26 HD's yesterday and got everything set up on the tank last night. The shipping was a bit of a mess, and the packaging of everything was a joke. The guy I bought them from put the lights in the original boxes, but then just threw everything else in a box. When I opened it, there was a rats nest of wires, power supplies, and mounting hardware. It took me about 20 minutes to get it all untangled and out of the box.

Anyway, the lights are in great condition and work well. first thing I did was complete the diffusers for them. I already had the acrylic cut and the stand-offs ready to go, I just needed to know where to drill the holes. So far I am pretty happy with the lights, but I do have a couple of complaints and there is definitely some room for improvement on AI's part.

First, the mounting system is a serious pain in the @$$! My biggest problem is that they did nothing to make it compatible with rimmed tanks. I ended up having to cut small discs of PVC pipe to use as spacers inside and outside the tank to keep the lights from falling. It looks totally ghetto on an otherwise clean system.

Second, the WIFI on these lights is TERRIBLE!!!! I have only one cable outlet in my home where I can locate my modem and router. It works great for EVERYTHING else in the house, but I cold not connect to the Hydra's with it. I ended up having to connect a 50 foot coax cable to my modem and stringing it halfway across my house. It is now working, most of the time, but I have cable running across the house and a modem and router sitting in the middle of the floor. Now I need to try and find a good range extender to use.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics of the lights, with diffusers, and the tank. Let me know what you think.

20180822_214610 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20180822_214459 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

Old 09/01/2018, 03:40 PM   #53
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Things are going very well with the system. I have moved a few things around, mostly for tier protection, but also in preparation of receiving a number of new additions that I ordered from AquaSD during the Labor day sale. I picked up an Aussie Blasto, Acan Lord, Zoas, Favia, Galaxea, and an Aussie Macromussa. I also git a John Deere Leptastrea in their Ebay auctions this week. I got all 7 corals for less than $130 shipped.

In addition to these, I stopped into the LFS yesterday and found a beautiful Aussie Elegance and couldn't pass it up. I have been wanting and looking for an elegance for a while, but everything I found was just outrageously priced, I got it home, drip acclimated it, and put it in the tank. Within about an hour, it had opened up pretty well. By this morning it was double the size it was in the store and looks amazing. Next to my Indo gold tip torch, this is my favorite coral in the tank right now.

Here is a FTS from this morning

20180901_092443 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

And the Elegance coral (under my normal lighting)

20180901_081746 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

Elegance coral (under UV, Violet, and RB)

20180901_081619 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

A short video of the tank this morning (sorry about the music, I was cleaning the house and has it playing in the background).

Tank video Sept 1 2018 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr