Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/29/2013, 02:49 PM   #676
BxS_Reefer217
Registered Member

Fungia from the same lfs*

BxS_Reefer217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2013, 09:42 PM   #677
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Hi BxS_Reefer217! Welcome!

Even if the Fungia appears dead, keep the skeleton. Many reefkeepers have had baby Fungia sprout off the old skeleton about a year to 18 months later (some even sooner!)

I've had some weird experiences with Blastos too. What exactly are your parameters (you'd be amazed how many people say their parameters are "perfect" but are actually way off what the reefkeeping community recommends.) Does it have any sponge growing around it? I've seen many Blastos come in with invasive sponges that are very hard to kill off. Check for that.

PADI Advanced Open Water Diver
Systems: 200g SPS-dominant, 75g Rescue, 30g QT, & 10g QT
MechEng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2013, 10:07 PM   #678
Chris Abbott
Registered Member

That hits my exact ? I just got a Favia from a friend and half of it is just skeleton, should I remove that or will the flesh recover these sites is it "recovers"! Got it today and I can see the flesh has increased in volume already and has its tentacles out sweeping.

Chris Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2013, 10:41 PM   #679
Chris Abbott
Registered Member

Ok read a few pages, so my bets bet is to cut away dead material like I was making frags, is that right? How close to good flesh do I cut , never fragged anything but sticks? Thanks and I will get some pics up tmro

Old 09/30/2013, 06:31 AM   #680
BxS_Reefer217
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEng99 View Post
Hi BxS_Reefer217! Welcome!

Even if the Fungia appears dead, keep the skeleton. Many reefkeepers have had baby Fungia sprout off the old skeleton about a year to 18 months later (some even sooner!)

I've had some weird experiences with Blastos too. What exactly are your parameters (you'd be amazed how many people say their parameters are "perfect" but are actually way off what the reefkeeping community recommends.) Does it have any sponge growing around it? I've seen many Blastos come in with invasive sponges that are very hard to kill off. Check for that.
Hi MechEng,

My parameters are as follows:
pH: 8.4
PO:0
NO: 0
NH: 0
dKH: 12
Ca: 440-460
Mg: 1600+

I know mag is high. This is actually unusual for my tank. But I'm working on getting it down.

A little more info on my setup: I have a 20 gal high with a 10 gal sump/refuge eshopps overflow box and nano skimmer. Magdrive 5 return pump. Zetlight aqua controllable led fixture.
Critters include (don't know scientific names):
1 black oscellaris
1 cleaner shrimp
3 Astraea snails
2 hermits (unsure of specific type, in refugium)
And 1 serpent star

All coral except for the blasto are thriving. I have a trumpet that's on the verge of splitting even after one head was stung by my wall hammer. That head is almost near full recovery.
So I don't know why my blasto is closed up. That's the weird thing actually. It's closed up but not really recessing.

Old 09/30/2013, 06:32 AM   #681
BxS_Reefer217
Registered Member

Still haven't figured out how to post photos yet either

Old 09/30/2013, 05:09 PM   #682
BxS_Reefer217
Registered Member

ok so I think my wall hammer had a polyp bailout and it may have caught in one of the mouths of my trumpet coral head that's on the verge of splitting. I think this damaged it because it appears that tissue is almost eroding from the inside out. please help! this my healthiest (well it was) coral and one of my favorites!

Can anything be done!?

Old 09/30/2013, 05:44 PM   #683
dragonfly1972
Registered Member

I got a hot pink stylaphora from the LFS that was completely bleached out to white. My son wanted to try his hand at saving it. Well most of it died off but the tips have good polyps and they are coloring back up nicely. My question is should I let it alone( will it regrow on the dead skeleton) or should I remove the good tips.

dragonfly1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2013, 06:01 PM   #684
Chris Abbott
Registered Member

I am just parroting as I don't know about SPS, but I was told my Favia will repopulate the old skeleton. I am not sure that sticks will do the same. don't think they will cause it grow in a linear fashion but curios none the less!

any dipping process that is known to help leathers recover would be greatly appreciated! Don't mind reading if pointe in the right direction

Old 09/30/2013, 08:42 PM   #685
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Abbott View Post
Ok read a few pages, so my bets bet is to cut away dead material like I was making frags, is that right? How close to good flesh do I cut , never fragged anything but sticks? Thanks and I will get some pics up tmro
If you've never fragged an LPS, then your best bet may be to just let it be. It will eventually regrow over the old skeleton (it'll be just like live rock to it.) I've had faster regrowth with the old skeleton gone, but don't do anything you aren't comfortable with. You can cut right up to the healthy tissue or as far away as you'd like. Just keep in mind that if you are using bone cutters that the skeleton may fracture and cut into the healthy polyps. That's not a big deal...except that you'll have new frags.

Also, regarding your leather dipping question, I'd use Lugol's, CoralRx, or something similar. You could use Bayer Advanced Insecticide as a dip (outlined in previous pages or on my homepage).

Old 09/30/2013, 08:44 PM   #686
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxS_Reefer217 View Post
ok so I think my wall hammer had a polyp bailout and it may have caught in one of the mouths of my trumpet coral head that's on the verge of splitting. I think this damaged it because it appears that tissue is almost eroding from the inside out. please help! this my healthiest (well it was) coral and one of my favorites!

Can anything be done!?
Your tank parameters seem like they're in the acceptable range for LPS. Are you running carbon or GFO? I would run some carbon just in case something in the water is bothering your blasto.

I'd dip the injured coral...Lugol's, CoralRx, or something similar to treat for a possible infection.

Old 09/30/2013, 08:48 PM   #687
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly1972 View Post
I got a hot pink stylaphora from the LFS that was completely bleached out to white. My son wanted to try his hand at saving it. Well most of it died off but the tips have good polyps and they are coloring back up nicely. My question is should I let it alone( will it regrow on the dead skeleton) or should I remove the good tips.
SPS will regrow over old skeleton (they will treat it like it is just live rock.) Stylophora do not encrust a lot, so it'll take them a while to overgrow it. You can frag the tips, but unless the coral is 100% healthy, I'd wait. Just keep the old skeleton free of detritus - blow it out regularly. If algae takes a hold in the old skeleton, it can quickly kill off the healthy parts of the coral.

Old 09/30/2013, 09:02 PM   #688
BxS_Reefer217
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Your tank parameters seem like they're in the acceptable range for LPS. Are you running carbon or GFO? I would run some carbon just in case something in the water is bothering your blasto.

I'd dip the injured coral...Lugol's, CoralRx, or something similar to treat for a possible infection.
What could i do to be in the above acceptable range? I don't want to be right on the edge of okay water quality. All I have for carbon is carbon filter pads. No room in my sump for anymore equipment. What would be the best way to work around limited space to run carbon?

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 09/30/2013, 09:36 PM   #689
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Your parameters aren't really that "off". I don't like running my alk quite that high (I prefer 10 dKh), but you aren't in the "bad" region. Mag above 1600 can irritate some coral, especially if it was a sudden change. What's your temp & salinity?

Did you check for invasive sponges on the coral?

How often are you changing the carbon pads? IME, they clog very quickly.

Have you watched the tank late at night (several hours after the lights are off) to see if anything is bothering the coral?

Old 09/30/2013, 10:00 PM   #690
BxS_Reefer217
Registered Member

Quote:
Your parameters aren't really that "off". I don't like running my alk quite that high (I prefer 10 dKh), but you aren't in the "bad" region. Mag above 1600 can irritate some coral, especially if it was a sudden change. What's your temp & salinity?

Did you check for invasive sponges on the coral?

How often are you changing the carbon pads? IME, they clog very quickly.

Have you watched the tank late at night (several hours after the lights are off) to see if anything is bothering the coral?
Alk is on it's way down. I usually aim for the 8-10. Mag was somewhat of a surprise jump, but it only just happened within the week. The blastocyst has been closed for a couple weeks now.

Temp is about 80. Salinity is 1.025-1.026.

Nothing invasive on the blasto.
Rinse the pads at least once a week. Change once a month. Hermits were picking good from the corals which is why they're now in my refugium. Nothing else bothering them that I know of.

Old 09/30/2013, 10:08 PM   #691
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

You might could try lowering the temp just slightly. Blastos seem to like it a bit cooler.

Otherwise, I'd post a separate thread to go through your tank and troubleshoot. You'll get more people chiming in. If it continues to decline, I'd see if it does better in someone else's tank temporarily. That'll isolate the problem to your tank or to the coral.

Old 09/30/2013, 10:16 PM   #692
BxS_Reefer217
Registered Member

I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks for all your help MechEng! This thread of yours has been a huge asset in keeping my downward spiraling corals from hitting bottom in the past. I just wish things would just stay put and healthy!

Hopefully I'll have some good news to post in the upcoming weeks!

Old 09/30/2013, 10:18 PM   #693
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Keep us posted! Sorry I wasn't more help...I'm better at troubleshooting dying corals in a good environment rather than troubleshooting the environment itself.

Old 10/12/2013, 06:28 AM   #694
johnike
Moved On

Hi MechEng. How's the Mommy to be feeling?
I got three more last night.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2013, 09:43 AM   #695
Dendrobates
Registered Member

This is a very inspiring thread with lots of useful information on specific coral lighting requirements, flow preferences and dips. I've used it a few times for corals I was having issues with, just wanted to say thanks!

Dendrobates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2013, 03:57 PM   #696
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

HAPPY THREE YEARS TO THIS THREAD!!!

Thanks to everyone who has saved coral and shared their experiences, cheered us on, and contributed their knowledge!

Old 10/12/2013, 04:02 PM   #697
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

johnike - I'm doing quite well, thank you! Baby had its legs crossed at the last appointment, so it's either a modest little girl or an ashamed little boy.

What in the world is going on with the trachyphyllia on the left in the first picture you posted?! Please keep us posted on those...trachy's still seem to be one type of coral that are challenging to rescue.

My husband took me out for a LFS shopping spree this weekend for my birthday, and we visited over 10 stores. Fortunately (but unfortunately for me), there were only a couple of rescues. I picked up a chalice, a platygyra, a symphyllia, and a lobophyllia (hubby did all the chemical work for me...yay!) I don't think the platygyra will make it. The symphyllia is in BAD shape, and I've only rescued one before. We'll see.

Old 10/12/2013, 05:12 PM   #698
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Yes happy 3 years

Maybe someone could setup a referral site called CoralRehab.com or similar, where you can find the nearest hobbyist that accepts sick corals and then rehabs them and sell them.

Old 10/12/2013, 05:26 PM   #699
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
Yes happy 3 years

Maybe someone could setup a referral site called CoralRehab.com or similar, where you can find the nearest hobbyist that accepts sick corals and then rehabs them and sell them.
I'm in the process of setting up a coral/fish rescue (non-profit), but I got a little delayed by making a frag of my own (pregnant with our first child). I'm in the SLC, UT (U.S.A.) area, and I'm happy to do just this. My personal website is www.reefdup.com, where I blog about corals I've rescued.

Old 10/13/2013, 06:47 AM   #700
johnike
Moved On

MechEng, just hanging tissue.
It's pretty rough, but I'm gonna save it!!

Glad the pregnancy is going well, continued success to you and the family.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote