Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: How Many Blue Green Chromis Should I add?
3 3 50.00%
5 2 33.33%
Other (please comment in thread) 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 05/17/2018, 05:17 AM   #1
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

How Many Blue Green Chromis?

I am planning to add a few Blue Green Chromis to my reef...

My question is - how many should I add? (I am debating between 3 & 5). I don't want to add 5 if that will overwhelm the other fish.

100G
48" x 24" x 20"

Current Fish:
Kole Tang
One Spot Foxface
Clownfish Pair
Small Possum Wrasse

Thanks!

Old 05/17/2018, 05:41 AM   #2
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

I just setup a 215 gal DT and added 6 so called Lemon Chromis. It might just be me, I only had 3 fish in my old 135 gal tank for some 16 years but 6 Chromis in my 215 seems busy. It is cool!

I have heard you will eventually end up with one Chromis becauss they become territorial over time and kill each other off. I have notice some of those issue after 30 day with my Chromis. No losses. But some occasional spats.

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps

Last edited by Dean Ladd; 05/17/2018 at 05:46 AM.
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 10:51 AM   #3
jayball
Registered Member

Do you have many full sized Chromie sized nooks in your rocks? When adult Chromies try to use the same sleeping spot is when most of the disappearances happen from the reports on here. (I had 3 in a 90 gallon for about 3.5 years they each slept in a separate rock structure. Each structure has multiple natural or chiseled out mini caves.) I would do no more than 3, don't be surprised if you only keep one.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 11:10 AM   #4
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
Do you have many full sized Chromie sized nooks in your rocks? When adult Chromies try to use the same sleeping spot is when most of the disappearances happen from the reports on here. (I had 3 in a 90 gallon for about 3.5 years they each slept in a separate rock structure. Each structure has multiple natural or chiseled out mini caves.) I would do no more than 3, don't be surprised if you only keep one.
Currently mine all hang out in one corner together after the lights go out but they have plenty of holes to hide in if needed. I use some Texas holey Rock for some of my base rock.

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Old 05/17/2018, 11:27 AM   #5
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Ladd View Post
Currently mine all hang out in one corner together after the lights go out but they have plenty of holes to hide in if needed. I use some Texas holey Rock for some of my base rock.
Are they still small? My blue-green did that before they matured. I also do not have experience with lemon chromies, they may tend to be more or less aggressive towards their own group.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 11:45 AM   #6
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Started off with 25 and after a year I had 7 and the number kept dwindling. Moved to a new home and got rid of what I had left. They almost always come in with Urenoma too. My suggestion is 1

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 01:45 PM   #7
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Started off with 25 and after a year I had 7 and the number kept dwindling. Moved to a new home and got rid of what I had left. They almost always come in with Urenoma too. My suggestion is 1
I plan on placing them in QT. Will I be able to tell if they have Urenoma and can that be treated?

Thanks!

Old 05/17/2018, 03:04 PM   #8
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
Are they still small? My blue-green did that before they matured. I also do not have experience with lemon chromies, they may tend to be more or less aggressive towards their own group.
All very young fish. Lemon are suppose to less aggressive but as with any fish thats hit or miss.

Old 05/17/2018, 06:35 PM   #9
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Cox View Post
I plan on placing them in QT. Will I be able to tell if they have Urenoma and can that be treated?

Thanks!
I would proactively treat them with chloroquine phosphate just to be sure they donít have it.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 06:41 PM   #10
saf1
Registered Member

Not sure if you have considered it but maybe try a pack of Damsels (I am serious) instead. Azures for example, or anything in the Chrysiptera line, are a good choice. If the tank is mature enough, with some solid coral growth, and plenty of rock work to support their sleeping and territories, it looks pretty amazing.

I personally stay away from chromis for many of the reasons stated about bickering and Urenoma. Once I get some better coral growth I'll be adding at least 25 of Talbots or Azures - or possibly mix 12 of each. I have the rock and homes, just not the coral growth so need to wait about a year.

Check out ca1ore's tank - he has a lot of them in his and it looks pretty impressive.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 06:46 PM   #11
lovemyfishtank
Registered Member

bluegreenchromis

you should add 6 they do best if space a problem get tiny ones don't remember where I read this but somewhere so that's what I did

lovemyfishtank is offline   Reply With Quote