Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/28/2017, 12:13 AM   #151
Bagabaga
Registered Member

I removed the skimmerctoday and ran a filter sock while blowing everything out of the sump. Tomorrow evening I'll baste the rocks and catch the rest. Cut a little off the wall of my acrylic sump (it's too tall) and was finally able to remove the entire skimmer and clean it top to bottom. Found my venturi was packed with salt creep and wasn't running well which might explain why my tank hasn't been exporting nutrients well. Also had chaeto in the intake and a piece of egg crate stuck in the teeth of the needle wheel. Skimmer is functioning properly now and I'll report back as things change.

Bagabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2017, 01:31 AM   #152
Bagabaga
Registered Member

What's the viability of bio pellets? Is it worth it? I have a reactor, tubing and a pump if it's worth it.

Old 06/28/2017, 06:51 AM   #153
ReefWreak
Registered Member

viability for what? Are you having uncontrollable nutrient problems?

Honestly, after having a maintenance guy come over and siphon out most of my bubble algae, he recommended I stop vodka dosing, and let the tank grow back again. Within 48 hours of feeding the fishes more and stopping vodka dosing (effectively the same as carbon dosing/bio pellets) the colors on my corals really dramatically enhanced, and I saw growth again. I was dosing vodka at really high limits to try to kill the bubble algea, but it never worked, and all it did was starve out my corals.

So if you are constantly battling middle-to-high nitrates, yes, biopellets would be recommended. If you aren't, I wouldn't add them.

ReefWreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2017, 12:09 PM   #154
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Ok, I'll test nitrates after I drop my wife off at the airport today. I too have the beginnings of a bubble algae outbreak. Did the guy siphon it out with the airline tubing method?

My tank is small enough that I could take the rock out and scrub/ rinse (saltwater rinse) the rocks. I'll do a full round of testing and a water change. I'll test before the change. I don't dose anything anymore and coral color is ok at best. Fish are healthy. Chalice melted and most of the stylophora is dead.

Lights are running at less than 20% peak day. Alk was 9 yesterday.

Old 06/28/2017, 02:23 PM   #155
ReefWreak
Registered Member

For my bubble algae, he ended up using the rigid tubing from my JBJ chiller tubing kit (which I haven't been using), cutting it to make a 12" section of hard rigid tubing, then sticking that into my normal waterchange hose. He then put a fine filter bag in a bucket, scraped and siphoned all of the bubble algae off of the rocks and into the bag in the bucket, and then once the bucket was filling up, he'd take the bag out, pour the bucket water back into the tank, and then start over. I think he did that 4-5 times. There was a lot of bubble algae. I need to add this to my tank thread.

Old 06/28/2017, 03:36 PM   #156
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Cool I'll end up doing that soon then. My nitrate and phosphate are rock bottom, alk is 8 and ph says 6.6 on color wheel.

Chaeto grows fast and it's not out competing the bubble algae. I don't dose carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06/28/2017, 03:49 PM   #157
ReefWreak
Registered Member

lol the pH alert isn't working for sure. Probably because it's for freshwater (though not sure, but I'm almost certain it isn't accurate for your tank. 6.6 would be pretty low, I never dip below the mid 7s.)

Bubble algae just needs manual or biological removal unfortunately. Really sucks with nano tanks. I guess that's why we should quarantine everything (I don't but should!).

Old 06/28/2017, 06:07 PM   #158
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Never even occurred to me that is says freshwater right on the damned thing. Oh well. I used it because it came in a pack with the ammonia alert for my qt.

As far as algae I'll suck them out and pop them during water changes.

I also know API isn't the best kits to use for accuracy but I don't test very often and a roundabout number is ok for me. I try to go by coral health.

Do you think my alk is too high for such low nutrients?

Old 06/29/2017, 07:45 AM   #159
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagabaga View Post
I also know API isn't the best kits to use for accuracy but I don't test very often and a roundabout number is ok for me. I try to go by coral health.

Do you think my alk is too high for such low nutrients?
API is just fine for the most part. You only need to upgrade if you want more precise test kits. Alk of 8 is fine. I shoot for 7-9 for maximum flexibility.

Check out jason2459's test kit comparisons here (and others listed in the first post on that page). API isn't all that bad, it's just imprecise.

Old 06/29/2017, 11:46 AM   #160
Bagabaga
Registered Member

And that's fine with me I hate chasing numbers. I'm going to get a water change done after work today and see if I can suck out some bubble algae at the same time.

I'll test alk again before and after my change. I just want things to fill in so bad. lol I'm being bratty. Good things take time. I'll shop around for a nice millepora colony soon.

Old 07/07/2017, 11:46 AM   #161
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Stupid scab I have is dying back a bit. It may be due to that tiny amount of kalk I used. I changed 5 gallons on Wednesday and things looked better on Thursday but today the tank looks a bit sad. Getting some film algae after harvesting some chaeto as well.

Thinking I may need more white light on the corals for better growth. Only running the leds at 15% of power for the last few months. I'll bring it up more today.

Just raised the fixtures brightness to 20% peak today. I'll see how things react.

Old 07/08/2017, 02:16 AM   #162
Bagabaga
Registered Member

I might be done... I'm really finding it tough to be enthusiastic about all this work. I love it. I just wish I could trade it for some other hobby that I can ignore and nothing bad happens.

I love these fish and these corals but I'm not doing so well with it. I keep messing up the alk and calcium and nothing likes my methods.

Old 07/08/2017, 02:36 AM   #163
fishdip22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagabaga View Post
I might be done... I'm really finding it tough to be enthusiastic about all this work. I love it. I just wish I could trade it for some other hobby that I can ignore and nothing bad happens.

I love these fish and these corals but I'm not doing so well with it. I keep messing up the alk and calcium and nothing likes my methods.
It never gets easy.

Old 07/08/2017, 10:05 AM   #164
Diana A
Registered Member

Do not give up!

Current Tank Info: 180g SPS started March 2014--- 90g SPS started May 2016 both bare bottom...60g LPS/Softies with sand
Diana A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2017, 02:27 PM   #165
Bagabaga
Registered Member

OF course the minute I start thinking about getting out of the hobby the corals look great.

Old 08/01/2017, 01:47 PM   #166
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Corals are still doing great. I'm going to do a water change this week and trim back my chaeto. This time just a little. I think I had a nitrate spike when I trimmed 70 % of it last time. Bubble algae stopped growing film algae is really slow growing and I haven't had a spike or crash in a couple weeks. Trumpet coral is growing flesh around old skeleton. All lps are open and happy. Acan lost a bit of tissue but it's my first one and I don't know what it likes yet. Clowns are alive and happy, purple pseudo is happy still in the sump rocks.

I really want to get a ton of lps pieces and fill all open spaces so I have a wobbly mess of tentacles. I love it.

I think the worm died in the walking dendro, it hasn't moved in weeks. Coral is open and fine though.

I'm tempted to dose again but I won't. I'll keep doing water changes with my Kent reef salt until everything loves me again.

Old 08/01/2017, 02:26 PM   #167
Diana A
Registered Member

What did you dose? I scrolled back a few and didn't see it

Current Tank Info: 180g SPS started March 2014--- 90g SPS started May 2016 both bare bottom...60g LPS/Softies with sand
Old 08/02/2017, 02:41 AM   #168
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Randy's two part was what I use to dose 2 part and I tried kalk a couple times. I'm never using kalk again. It's too elusive for me to use. 2 part never seems to overdose. I wish I had a dosing pump for my two part it works the best.

I added 2 liters or so of matrix a couple months ago and my sump rocks started to grow algae from the bare bottom being transparent to the sump. I removed the air pump from the sump and the skimmer is doing great work. I need to turkey baste my rocks and sump and filter out the detritus this weekend.

I wish my flame angel survived to see the tank. I'd love to see him swimming about picking at algae.

The clowns are fantastic but they hang in one corner all day and make me feel bad that I trapped them in a small tank.

Old 08/02/2017, 03:53 PM   #169
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Getting nice second hand pieces of coral is ridiculous in my area. I emailed someone about a common color variant hammer with 3 heads asking how much and they want 75 for it. I paid 50 for a two head neon green and purple frogspawn. Frags are expensive as well. I just can't seem to keep easy sps at all. Birdsnest and pocillopora die too easily in my tank.

Old 08/03/2017, 12:09 AM   #170
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Reading everyone's amazing results and enthusiasm is really driving it home that it's probably not in my families best interest I keep spending money on this hobby. I really wish I could get what I put into this tank back.

It kills me that I loved it for so long but my life is heading in a different direction I think.

Old 08/03/2017, 07:28 AM   #171
ReefWreak
Registered Member

It's tough sometimes. To add to my frustration, I actually wrote you a nice note yesterday in reply to this thread about how all we read about (usually) is people's success and the nice pictures of their tanks, but there's a lot of head and heart ache that goes into that.

What made me think of that was spending an hour and a half 2 nights ago just to glue down 4 corals, and the frustration that entails, a relatively simple and straightforward task. Every time I do something, I knock over 3 other things, have to glue them down or place them somewhere, chasing myself in circles, then because of the epoxy my skimmer overflows and algae grows (which is where I am now). So there's a lot of frustration even in the simplest or most mature of setups, it's just part of the game, and we don't vent about it enough (though I guess that would make for quite the boring thread).

I'm sorry to hear you're still having troubles. I'm hoping you pull through, though of course making the right decision for your family is definitely #1. It's really a shame there are no hobbyists locally with either cheap frags or who could offer to take a look at your setup, talk tank, or just assist generally. I know I've done that a lot over the years, and always enjoy doing it still.

Good luck, hope it gets better, and of course make the right choice for the family first.

Old 08/06/2017, 09:59 AM   #172
Diana A
Registered Member

How are things going? Miss your updates

Old 08/06/2017, 11:22 AM   #173
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Everything is the same. I listed my livestock on Craigslist and have had some people interested in the clownfish primarily. Had one of my cheap powerheads die from a power fluctuation the other day.

I have a few guilty feelings about selling the livestock because I always make such a big deal out of these saltwater set ups to much wife and she always lets me set them up and I eventually break them down and within a year want to set up again. But I think I'm done this time. The hobby is super expensive and I never have time for the tank with my job as a kitchen manager I'm always gone away from home anyway. I loved it as a kid and always dreamed of keeping a piece of the ocean at home.

I'll probably hang onto all the parts of this tank and maybe set it up again when we buy a house. I just need to sell the livestock to take it down.

Old 08/07/2017, 12:52 PM   #174
Bagabaga
Registered Member

And the process begins, someone coming to buy the clowns on Thursday and I've got a person using email like a text and doesn't exactly know what they want.

Old 08/07/2017, 12:56 PM   #175
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Sorry to see you go man. If/when you get back into it, we'll be here!