Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Bulk Reef Supply
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/08/2017, 08:43 AM   #26
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstefa1 View Post
Honestly if you are using a reef controller to control your heater, it doesn't really matter as you are only using the built in thermostat as a fail safe in the even the outlet got stuck on.
Thanks. Yep I will be using it with the APEX. Trying to decide if I get 2 150w instead of 1 300w because I will only be using 1 outlet of the APEX (4 or 8).

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
wcharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2017, 04:52 PM   #27
robgonsailing
Registered Member

I think I've narrowed down the problem to the heater itself. I had the heater plugged into an Apex outlet set to "ON" and had the thermostat on the heater set much higher than the water temp. This should have created the condition for the heater to be always on. Instead, you could see many power spikes (difference of 3 amps on the amp graph) where the heater was only running about 50% of the time, inconsistently, and it couldn't maintain temp. When I changed to a different heater (same wattage, same conditions) the power spikes went away and the temp rose to the set point. I see this same observation was posted on the BRS product review.

Randy - Is there anything BRS can do or do I need to try to warranty through Finnex?

robgonsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2017, 05:07 PM   #28
Randy_BRS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgonsailing View Post
I think I've narrowed down the problem to the heater itself. I had the heater plugged into an Apex outlet set to "ON" and had the thermostat on the heater set much higher than the water temp. This should have created the condition for the heater to be always on. Instead, you could see many power spikes (difference of 3 amps on the amp graph) where the heater was only running about 50% of the time, inconsistently, and it couldn't maintain temp. When I changed to a different heater (same wattage, same conditions) the power spikes went away and the temp rose to the set point. I see this same observation was posted on the BRS product review.

Randy - Is there anything BRS can do or do I need to try to warranty through Finnex?
Hey there,

Very strange that we couldn't replicate these issues. I'm sorry you are experiencing the same as others have! We just revamped our return policy which includes the statement about manufacturer defects that I've posted below.

Basically, if it is defective within 30 days of your purchase date we've got your back! Outside of that, we do have to have you reach out to the manufacturer for warranty support.

Please shoot me a PM with your account and order information and I will get the ball rolling for you!

RISK FREE RETURNS!

Manufacturer Defects & Warranties

" It doesn’t happen often, but when it does, we’ll work with you to make it right.

If your product arrives non-functional due to manufacturer defects, it may be exchanged for the same product within 30 days at no cost to you!4
Purchased more than 30 days ago, but need warranty support? We’ll ensure your issue is handled fast and efficiently by acting as the first point of contact. We'll introduce you to the best contact at the manufacturer, and make sure the manufacturer knows of the issue you’re encountering!
If you prefer to contact the manufacturer directly, we’ve created a list of contacts that can be accessed by clicking the button below. "

Thanks!

-Randy

Randy_BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2018, 11:26 AM   #29
GREENBUBBLE
Registered Member

just bought this 300w, set in new tank and left it for 3 days, tank wont go over 76f when the heater is set to 79. Tuned up heater to 82 and it will keep the tank at 78.6. Left it like this for a few days then turned it back down to 79 and the tank dropped to 76. The heater is constantly turning off because the titanium heats up and makes the snesor think its too warm. Sending this POS back and last time i take BRS suggestion.

GREENBUBBLE is offline   Reply With Quote