Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #526  
Old 01/07/2008, 08:27 PM
NanoGurl NanoGurl is offline
Girls Rule!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,455
Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGurl
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.
  #527  
Old 01/07/2008, 08:37 PM
bohlke bohlke is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 654
Once the DI is spent it will actually add stuff to the water, thats what could be causing your TDS readings to be high.
__________________
Check out my reef tank upgrade project by clicking on the red house.
  #528  
Old 01/07/2008, 08:58 PM
NanoGurl NanoGurl is offline
Girls Rule!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,455
Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGurl
No idea!
  #529  
Old 01/07/2008, 09:22 PM
NanoGurl NanoGurl is offline
Girls Rule!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,455
Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGurl
Monday Update!

Today we went shopping for our granite counter tops. We got a chance to goto a factory that cuts them onsite and got to pick out the exact slabs that we wanted.

It was pretty interesting to see how big their operation was and their selection. They used big cranes to pull out huge sections for us to look at.

Photos of their factory where they cut the granite.







And two hours later! What we chose =) They are going to measure on Wednesday and install within two weeks =)
  #530  
Old 01/07/2008, 09:32 PM
bower23 bower23 is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Jamestown Pa
Posts: 278
Don't mind me asking what brand of cabinets you are going to use?
  #531  
Old 01/07/2008, 09:34 PM
muelpaul muelpaul is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wrightstown, WI
Posts: 387
Very nice NG, Granite is definitely the way to go. We chose granite for our kitchen upgrade and after a year we are still impressed at it's beauty. Very earthy / natural looking and has been very durable.
  #532  
Old 01/07/2008, 09:50 PM
jcpatella jcpatella is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 699
What a perfect missed opportunity for some action shots! You could have been skating across the granite or dangling from one of the giant cranes!

That's awesome that they brought you inside to see the works. They must have been secret admirers...
__________________
Dogs - Man's best friend; entropy's greatest catalyst.
  #533  
Old 01/07/2008, 10:41 PM
NanoGurl NanoGurl is offline
Girls Rule!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,455
Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGurl
Quote:
Originally posted by bower23
Don't mind me asking what brand of cabinets you are going to use?
That's a good ? I don't even remember the name of them... it was whatever the builder had. Sorry.
  #534  
Old 01/07/2008, 10:42 PM
NanoGurl NanoGurl is offline
Girls Rule!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,455
Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGurl
Quote:
Originally posted by muelpaul
Very nice NG, Granite is definitely the way to go. We chose granite for our kitchen upgrade and after a year we are still impressed at it's beauty. Very earthy / natural looking and has been very durable.
Thanks That's good to know. Did you treat your granite with anything? I heard something about a sealer.. never had granite so I don't know.
  #535  
Old 01/07/2008, 10:46 PM
NanoGurl NanoGurl is offline
Girls Rule!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,455
Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGurl
Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
What a perfect missed opportunity for some action shots! You could have been skating across the granite or dangling from one of the giant cranes!

That's awesome that they brought you inside to see the works. They must have been secret admirers...
LOL... maybe... but my action shot days are over! I told you I passed the crown to your wife =) lol
  #536  
Old 01/08/2008, 01:02 AM
Alaska_Phil Alaska_Phil is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North Pole
Posts: 432
Send a message via Yahoo to Alaska_Phil
Whew! For a second there I thought those were photos of your new fish room.

Phil
  #537  
Old 01/08/2008, 03:16 AM
chris wright chris wright is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orange Australia
Posts: 573
G'day Ng,

Are you able to get caesar stone instead of granite? I can only tell you based on prices in Australia, that's it's a little dearer in price, but is a hell of a lot better a product than granite.

It's a nice finish, looks similar in a sense (I like it better), and healthy than granite. It does not absorb any of the bacteria's that granite can. I've spoken to cabinet makers here, and they recommend it, and prefer to install it for the above reasons, not just because it's a little extra in cost.

As for your Ro/Di units, I can't believe you have to cut in your own tee's. Geez we get it good here in Australia Mine comes already to go. When photobucket comes back online, I'll post a pic for you.

Cheers

Chris
  #538  
Old 01/08/2008, 05:03 AM
NanoGurl NanoGurl is offline
Girls Rule!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,455
Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGurl
Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_Phil
Whew! For a second there I thought those were photos of your new fish room.

Phil
lol =)
  #539  
Old 01/08/2008, 05:05 AM
NanoGurl NanoGurl is offline
Girls Rule!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,455
Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGurl
Quote:
Originally posted by chris wright
G'day Ng,

Are you able to get caesar stone instead of granite? I can only tell you based on prices in Australia, that's it's a little dearer in price, but is a hell of a lot better a product than granite.

It's a nice finish, looks similar in a sense (I like it better), and healthy than granite. It does not absorb any of the bacteria's that granite can. I've spoken to cabinet makers here, and they recommend it, and prefer to install it for the above reasons, not just because it's a little extra in cost.

As for your Ro/Di units, I can't believe you have to cut in your own tee's. Geez we get it good here in Australia Mine comes already to go. When photobucket comes back online, I'll post a pic for you.

Cheers

Chris
Thanks for the info. I really like Granite so that's what we went with. I don't like the look of some of the other engineered products. That might change if the granite care is more then I hoped for in a few years =)

Yea, when we bought the RO/DI unit we didn't know much. We got it off ebay. Oh well!
  #540  
Old 01/08/2008, 05:23 AM
chris wright chris wright is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orange Australia
Posts: 573
No worries, just a suggestion

When I bought my ro/di unit, i just looked on the forums. But I must admitt, I haven't seen any in the states with a similar set-up
  #541  
Old 01/08/2008, 07:34 AM
melev melev is offline
TRC Leader
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ft Worth, Tx
Posts: 25,791
I'd like to see what yours looks like, Chris. I've been contacted many times by hobbyists in AU telling me that they can't find RO/DI systems in their country. I've always thought that couldn't be true.
__________________
Marc Levenson - member of DFWMAS
  #542  
Old 01/08/2008, 03:57 PM
jcpatella jcpatella is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
LOL... maybe... but my action shot days are over! I told you I passed the crown to your wife =) lol
Nanogurl, this is his wife. I already told you - I still need some competition or a partner in crime!!!
__________________
Dogs - Man's best friend; entropy's greatest catalyst.
  #543  
Old 01/08/2008, 05:30 PM
NanoGurl NanoGurl is offline
Girls Rule!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,455
Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGurl
Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
Nanogurl, this is his wife. I already told you - I still need some competition or a partner in crime!!!
I like the partner in crime idea! lol =)
  #544  
Old 01/08/2008, 09:13 PM
DrBDC DrBDC is offline
Team RC Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ballwin, Missouri
Posts: 9,622
Send a message via Yahoo to DrBDC
insert little smiley guy with 1 eyebrow raised LOL
__________________
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge, some just gargle, but most are rabid.
  #545  
Old 01/08/2008, 10:33 PM
Schwe Schwe is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Clifton Park, NY
Posts: 49
Send a message via AIM to Schwe Send a message via Yahoo to Schwe
Hey NG,

Thanks for the tip on the food. Clowns have a gourmet buffet now!

Oh, aside from the tank I also have this beauty-- remembering a past post I think you might appreciate her, LOL

__________________
"[i]The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.[/i]"
-John Powell
  #546  
Old 01/08/2008, 11:01 PM
NanoGurl NanoGurl is offline
Girls Rule!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,455
Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGurl
Quote:
Originally posted by DrBDC
insert little smiley guy with 1 eyebrow raised LOL
hehehe (:
  #547  
Old 01/08/2008, 11:02 PM
NanoGurl NanoGurl is offline
Girls Rule!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,455
Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGurl
Quote:
Originally posted by Schwe
Hey NG,

Thanks for the tip on the food. Clowns have a gourmet buffet now!

Oh, aside from the tank I also have this beauty-- remembering a past post I think you might appreciate her, LOL
lol your welcome =)

That's a pretty ball!
  #548  
Old 01/08/2008, 11:28 PM
chris wright chris wright is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orange Australia
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I'd like to see what yours looks like, Chris. I've been contacted many times by hobbyists in AU telling me that they can't find RO/DI systems in their country. I've always thought that couldn't be true.
G'day Marc,

No worries here's 2 pictures of mine, the first is the unit,



And the second is a close up of the tap that allows you to use or not the Di section of the filter. As it is now, I'm using the Di, turn it 90 degrees left or right and you get Ro only.



This unit comes already set-up. If you are a member of one of the marine societies, then you get a discount as well.

Here's a link for the filters, ask for Peter Howard, top bloke.

PSI Filters

And here's a link for the local Forum, and to join for the discount,

MASA,Reefing the Australian way

Cheers

Chris
  #549  
Old 01/09/2008, 10:29 PM
NanoGurl NanoGurl is offline
Girls Rule!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,455
Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGurl
Wednesday Update!

Okay... well a lot has been going on over here behind the scenes and as most of you know we have been going back and forth on what to uprgade too and what we can afford and all that so i'm happy to say we have finally made our decision.

We are moving in March into a new house and the expenses from that have been a lot to deal with. We're not going to be able to do the 240g like we were thinking right now. so instead of going with a 125 (which i don't want) or a 180 (would still want the 240) we are going to go with the 120.

Ocean needs something bigger then the 75. He's done really well but I want to get him something bigger, and my hope is that he will live another couple of years happyily in the 120 and then at that point upgrade to the 240 if we can and keep the 120 for my eel tank. If any of you remember my older threads that was my goal from a long time ago. We went with the 75 only for now so we wouldn't have to move as large of a tank.

I think the 120 will be perfect for what we have at this point in our lives. I'm hoping within a few years the 240 will be more realistic, but if it's not then at least we have a 120 to enjoy which is my fav size tank (non nano) under 180g.

Ocean is still small and I think he will be happy in the 120 for a bit. I still believe a 6' tank is a much better option, but at this point I am hesitant on doing a 125 only bc of Ocean with how delicate tangs are and especially with a big move coming up.

(:
  #550  
Old 01/09/2008, 10:52 PM
bohlke bohlke is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Wednesday Update!

Okay... well a lot has been going on over here behind the scenes and as most of you know we have been going back and forth on what to uprgade too and what we can afford and all that so i'm happy to say we have finally made our decision.

We are moving in March into a new house and the expenses from that have been a lot to deal with. We're not going to be able to do the 240g like we were thinking right now. so instead of going with a 125 (which i don't want) or a 180 (would still want the 240) we are going to go with the 120.

Ocean needs something bigger then the 75. He's done really well but I want to get him something bigger, and my hope is that he will live another couple of years happyily in the 120 and then at that point upgrade to the 240 if we can and keep the 120 for my eel tank. If any of you remember my older threads that was my goal from a long time ago. We went with the 75 only for now so we wouldn't have to move as large of a tank.

I think the 120 will be perfect for what we have at this point in our lives. I'm hoping within a few years the 240 will be more realistic, but if it's not then at least we have a 120 to enjoy which is my fav size tank (non nano) under 180g.

Ocean is still small and I think he will be happy in the 120 for a bit. I still believe a 6' tank is a much better option, but at this point I am hesitant on doing a 125 only bc of Ocean with how delicate tangs are and especially with a big move coming up.

(:
Well I will be very interested in your 120 upgrade I was thinking of what fish I would like to add to mine when its ready and I am just not sure if its enough room for a couple of tangs. I have a yellow in my 65 now and its a model citizen but I have heard that they can be aggressive to other tangs in the tank unless they were the last tang added. Whats your timeline for the 120?
__________________
Check out my reef tank upgrade project by clicking on the red house.
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef Central Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2009