Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 10/30/2017, 10:37 PM   #26
cflow
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 684
I wonder if this product is similar to KZ zeozym. Zeozym helped to break down extra mulm in the tank. It's like a white chalky powder that believe it or not smells like protein powder. It definitely helped clean up the biological leftovers when it gets skimmed out.


cflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2017, 06:23 AM   #27
Sawen
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflow View Post
I wonder if this product is similar to KZ zeozym. Zeozym helped to break down extra mulm in the tank. It's like a white chalky powder that believe it or not smells like protein powder. It definitely helped clean up the biological leftovers when it gets skimmed out.
I do not think so. It does not make the tank water any clearer and it is not chalk for sure. It is probably just mud containing lots of minerals and some bacteria. Might also contain some dissolved kind of organic compounds that trigger a feeding response. But it's just an educated guess on my part.



Last edited by Sawen; 10/31/2017 at 10:47 AM.
Sawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2017, 09:12 AM   #28
Anirban
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 77
Yeah Sawen is right. Zeozym has a enzyme base and promotes bacterial metabolism. But life source is pure mud and contain natural source of mineral, bacteria and a bit of organic compounds. It is more for increasing biological filtration and biodiversity in the system.


Anirban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2017, 10:41 AM   #29
jhb_luke
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3
So does this product add different minerals to reef salts? In which case what is the difference? Would it be better to use this product over reef salts?


jhb_luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2017, 10:52 AM   #30
Sawen
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhb_luke View Post
So does this product add different minerals to reef salts? In which case what is the difference? Would it be better to use this product over reef salts?
We do not know what exactly is in this mud. Recommended dose is small and I do not see how it could ever come close to reef salts.


Sawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2017, 07:35 PM   #31
stephane
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 864
I start to use it 3 week ago ans love it. i mix it with water then poor it close to pump i see an increase in polip extension and water became more cristal clear.


stephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2017, 08:55 AM   #32
Sawen
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane View Post
I start to use it 3 week ago ans love it. i mix it with water then poor it close to pump i see an increase in polip extension and water became more cristal clear.
Yes it seems to trigger a feeding response from corals for sure.


Sawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2017, 06:34 AM   #33
Haksar
Registered Member
 
Haksar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,041
Can it be used in bare bottom tanks


__________________
Haksar
Haksar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2017, 06:54 AM   #34
Sawen
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksar View Post
Can it be used in bare bottom tanks
I have a bare bottom tank and I am using it.


Sawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2018, 05:54 PM   #35
Twinfallz
Registered Member
 
Twinfallz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 522
Bump,,, anyone here been using this product longer term?

Anything good/bad worth reporting?

cheers


Twinfallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2018, 01:15 PM   #36
acabgd
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Belgrade
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfallz View Post
Bump,,, anyone here been using this product longer term?

Anything good/bad worth reporting?

cheers
Sadly there's not much more information about Aquaforest Life Source. I did use it a couple of times, but too little to see any difference.

However, I just had to do a complete restart due to majano infestation of plague-like proportions. Had to displace fish with my LFS, clean and frag all coral to make sure no majanos left and placed them also with my LFS.

I cleaned everything with bleach and acid, replaced all the tubing and just restarted yesterday with a normal cycle. I started with dry rock and will be adding Life Source 2x weekly to see if it really adds to biodiversity.

I hope to give a definite answer on does Life Source contain any microorganisms. Still, this won't mean a lot as for its other possible benefits, but we'll know at least something for sure (at least I hope so).


acabgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2018, 05:29 PM   #37
Twinfallz
Registered Member
 
Twinfallz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by acabgd View Post
Sadly there's not much more information about Aquaforest Life Source. I did use it a couple of times, but too little to see any difference.

However, I just had to do a complete restart due to majano infestation of plague-like proportions. Had to displace fish with my LFS, clean and frag all coral to make sure no majanos left and placed them also with my LFS.

I cleaned everything with bleach and acid, replaced all the tubing and just restarted yesterday with a normal cycle. I started with dry rock and will be adding Life Source 2x weekly to see if it really adds to biodiversity.

I hope to give a definite answer on does Life Source contain any microorganisms. Still, this won't mean a lot as for its other possible benefits, but we'll know at least something for sure (at least I hope so).
Thanks, keep me updated please.


Twinfallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2018, 04:30 AM   #38
acabgd
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Belgrade
Posts: 1,086
It's now day 5 - added one spoon of AF Life Source on Dec 10 and one spoon on Dec 12. Will add another today.

I know this is more than recommended but taking into account this is a bare-bottom absolutely new tank with dead rock I have no issues about adding anything - it's still cycling.

Have noticed a thin dust-like layer on the bottom which can clearly be seen on 2nd photo. Also there are some larger particles/small rocks which didn't dissolve even after a few days.

I'm adding by placing one spoonful in a separate container with tank water, then strongly mixing until it dissolves. However, not everything dissolves.

Have not seen any organisms appear anywhere, but it's definitely too early - I would be totally astonished to see anything alive yet.


Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181214_122250.jpg (28.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20181214_122257.jpg (24.7 KB, 12 views)
acabgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2018, 03:03 PM   #39
acabgd
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Belgrade
Posts: 1,086
Added another round of AF Life Source today, 1 spoon. This is what you get when you dissolve it and pour it into the tank.

Unfortunately (well, fortunately for me, but unfortunately for this test) I am seeding it tomorrow with a fresh live rock so whatever comes on alive will be probably from that one LR piece.

That was not the original plan but my LFS got a shipment of fresh LR and I just couldn't resist.


Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181215_225527.jpg (15.4 KB, 14 views)
acabgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2019, 11:20 AM   #40
Sawen
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 171
I have been dosing this for over a year now. Once a week, about half of the included spoon in my 25 gallon mixed tank.


Sawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2019, 12:37 PM   #41
acabgd
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Belgrade
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawen View Post
I have been dosing this for over a year now. Once a week, about half of the included spoon in my 25 gallon mixed tank.
Did you see any change or improvement that you can attribute to Life Source? I have restarted my tank and have been dosing it since the beginning with a small break. Tank's been running since Dec 10, so about 5 weeks now. I'm not seeing any particular benefit that I can attribute to it.


acabgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2019, 06:11 PM   #42
Sawen
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by acabgd View Post
Did you see any change or improvement that you can attribute to Life Source? I have restarted my tank and have been dosing it since the beginning with a small break. Tank's been running since Dec 10, so about 5 weeks now. I'm not seeing any particular benefit that I can attribute to it.
My tank is thriving and it has been thriving for some time now. But I am not naive as to think this has anything to do with this product. It is very hard to conclude anything as I have been doing lots of things right and have 20 years experience in keeping reef tanks.

So why do I keep using this product? In the last year ,snails have begun reproducing like crazy, pod population has exploded, asterina star fish population has exploded and I have witnessed a feeding response from the corals after introducing the mud. Maybe only the feeding response has anything to do with the mud. Who knows?

The mud probably introduces some minerals and some good bacterias to my tank. I suspect the mud might contain some high levels of iron as well.

All hypothesis. I have no science to back it up.

My tank is now 10 years old.


Sawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2019, 09:45 PM   #43
Twinfallz
Registered Member
 
Twinfallz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawen View Post
My tank is thriving and it has been thriving for some time now. But I am not naive as to think this has anything to do with this product. It is very hard to conclude anything as I have been doing lots of things right and have 20 years experience in keeping reef tanks.

So why do I keep using this product? In the last year ,snails have begun reproducing like crazy, pod population has exploded, asterina star fish population has exploded and I have witnessed a feeding response from the corals after introducing the mud. Maybe only the feeding response has anything to do with the mud. Who knows?

The mud probably introduces some minerals and some good bacterias to my tank. I suspect the mud might contain some high levels of iron as well.

All hypothesis. I have no science to back it up.

My tank is now 10 years old.
AF says "AF Life source was created to feed microorganisms" so I guess you would say it works.


Twinfallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.