Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/04/2017, 07:45 PM   #1
LucidGoblin
Registered Member

Cerium Oxide Band

On a website called Foredom, I found what they call a A-4404 1/2 x 1/2" Cerium Oxide Band, 50,000 micron. The band can be used wet with a drum mandrel and an extension on a Dremel. Does anyone have any experience or input on how this would work on light scratches underwater on glass?

LucidGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2017, 04:00 PM   #2
LucidGoblin
Registered Member

Premature Inspiration

Upon further research, I discovered that there is no such thing as an extension for a rotary tool. The rpm is too high, and the extension would wobble (according to Dremel). So, I found a 1/2 sanding drum with a 1/4 inch shank (after a lot of searching) that can be used with a drill bit extension. (Wish me luck, I will update the post after testing it on an old aquarium.)

Old 06/05/2017, 09:22 PM   #3
activecactus
Registered Member

I used a ball polisher for my drill and the cerium oxide powder. It was messy and left a haze. When I filled the tank with water, the haze disappeared.

The drum seems like a better approach. Definitely post your results.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef
activecactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2017, 01:05 PM   #4
skanderson
Registered Member

please post updates. would love a workable way to polish out a couple scratches in my 700

skanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2017, 09:06 PM   #5
LucidGoblin
Registered Member

Waiting Game

Thanks for your interest. I've already received the extension and the sanding drum, but the cerium oxide band won't be here until around 6/14 (Foredom says "we are a factory, not a warehouse"). I'll post results as soon as I can.

Old 06/15/2017, 04:41 PM   #6
LucidGoblin
Registered Member

Eureka

Well, I got the cerium oxide bands (I ordered four of them). I haven't done a full test on them because my cordless drill is way too heavy to hold above the tank for an extended period of time, and the battery won't last long enough to buff out the scratches. (I'll be getting a lighter, corded drill soon.) But so far, from what I can tell, this should work. The bands are made of plastic instead of cardboard, so they should hold up underwater. I did see a tiny bit of cerium oxide dust come off the band as I pushed it against the glass, but not nearly enough to cause any harm. It didn't leave any hazing on the glass. With patience and elbow grease, I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work on light scratches. I think did it. I found a way to remove scratches from aquarium glass underwater.

Old 06/17/2017, 09:16 PM   #7
LucidGoblin
Registered Member

Important Update

Under brighter lighting, I observed more dust coming off the cerium oxide band than I first realized (picture a wisp of smoke coming off the end of a cigarette). Still not a lot, but enough to cause concern. My tank is only 30 gallons, and I don't think I'll chance it, since I don't know exactly how much cerium oxide is harmful. With bigger tanks, 75 gallons or more, this may not be such an issue, especially with a large water and filter change afterward. I can still say this method is lot easier than using the cerium oxide paste if you drain the water to the scratch level. (Foredom also has wider bands available, which might make the job even easier.)

Old 06/20/2017, 05:15 AM   #8
activecactus
Registered Member

Thanks for the update. Might have to try the belts next time I have to remove a scratch.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef
activecactus is offline   Reply With Quote