Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/13/2018, 08:43 AM   #1
langtudatinh01
Registered Member

Radion xr15 pro for standard 75 gallon

I am getting back into the hobby. I used t5 before. Do you think two of these fixtures will be adequate for a 75 gallon? I am planning mix between Lps and sps. Thank you.

Current Tank Info: my little heaven: 40 Breeder nano reeftank (1 year old-refugium/sump 20 gallons)
langtudatinh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2018, 08:49 AM   #2
jamie1981
Registered Member

If it's a 48" tank I would say no. With just to XR15's your going to get more shadowing. Now this may or may not be a issue depending on what you plan on keeping in the tank. I would recommend 2 XR30's so you have 4 points of light instead of only 2.

jamie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2018, 07:14 PM   #3
reefinder
Registered Member

You can for sure get away with three of these units and grow anything in your tank well.

Old 02/13/2018, 08:55 PM   #4
LQT
Registered Member

Three would be ideal, but the center brace in the standard 75 complicates that unfortunately. Therefore, get the Deep Blue rimless 75 to avoid the center brace!

Working on an upgrade: Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2018, 07:12 AM   #5
intenseimage
Registered Member

We just added 2 XR15 Pros to our 75 in prep for the 120g upgrade. I think the coverage so far is pretty good. I do think we may jump to 4 in the end simply to maximize what we can keep, but at least we can make that determination as we go. This path also helps with overall cost and not jumping all the way to 4 units if its truly not needed.

You need to think about the overall options ... 2 pucks of LEDS or 4 ... and if you need 4, you then have 2 options

I would absolutely NOT do the XR30s since you will have the same amount of output with 4 of the 15s vs 2 of the 30s and have more options for light placement (plus no fans running 24/7).

intenseimage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2018, 08:22 AM   #6
mattgumaer
Registered Member

I'd say too directional with only two points of light. You could get two and see how it goes, planning to add another 2 if/when necessary. You might also find you miss your t5s and ultimately run a hybrid system with Radions and t5s. I run Radions and t5s and really like the combination (control of the Radions for sunrise and sunset and changing color temps and t5s to even out the lighting and eliminate shadowing).

It depends a lot on what you're trying to keep. If you're doing LPS and SPS like montis, bird's nest and other relatively easy SPS, you might never need more than a couple of Radions. Acros are likely a different story. Changing from Radions only to a hybrid system dramatically increased my success rate with acros.

I would try to hang the Radions as high as possible and try to get your hands on a par meter to check your lighting intensity. Your eye (or at least my eye) is a very poor judge of intensity. With Radions only, areas of my tank that appeared to have similar lighting levels had dramatically different intensities.

Finally, I would consider getting the new Radion diffusers. I just started using them myself so I can't comment on the 'results' from using them but, they seem promising to reduce hot spots directly under the pucks and blending colors better, particularly if your lights are only going to be 8-10 inches above the tank.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2018, 11:41 AM   #7
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
Three would be ideal, but the center brace in the standard 75 complicates that unfortunately. Therefore, get the Deep Blue rimless 75 to avoid the center brace!
Have dealt with a center brace forever and never noticed an issue below it, honestly, with LEDs I swear it will act as a diffuser if anything.

I considered this setup OP, and my conclusion is 2 would be OK for mixed reef but will be shadowed in ~1/3 of the tank (so less SPS there) depending on how you position (good for LPS or zoas etc..) and three would be good for almost anything anything.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2018, 01:42 PM   #8
langtudatinh01
Registered Member

Thanks for your advices.

Current Tank Info: my little heaven: 40 Breeder nano reeftank (1 year old-refugium/sump 20 gallons)
langtudatinh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2018, 08:33 PM   #9
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
This. 3 would be ideal but 2 XR30 is the best option for a 75g with plastic center brace. I removed the one on my old 75g and replaced with a piece of clear acrylic so I would not get any shadowing.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2018, 06:00 AM   #10
intenseimage
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReefT4r View Post
This. 3 would be ideal but 2 XR30 is the best option for a 75g with plastic center brace. I removed the one on my old 75g and replaced with a piece of clear acrylic so I would not get any shadowing.
4 of the 15s is still a better choice than 2 of the 30s ... slightly more options for placement and no 24/7 fan noise to deal with

intenseimage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2018, 11:16 AM   #11
jubjub47
Registered Member

I've installed hundreds of xr15's. Two of them on a 75 will be fine. You will be able to grow whatever you want.

jubjub47 is offline   Reply With Quote