Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/18/2013, 09:46 PM   #51
Alex T.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamc1303 View Post
Steve can't wait for this one. I love the lighting decision. You may want to consider led strips instead of the VHO's mainly because the bulbs are getting harder and harder to find by the day and the blue lights on the LED's put out a very nice color. I also recommend you get select a watt ballasts eventually you're gonna go with 400 watters, just wait and see lol. Anyway awesome to have a new thread going for you!
It's not really hard to find VHO bulbs at all. I got 4 of them in 3 days about a month ago. T12 bulbs won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Aside from our aquariums, nearly every commercial facility still runs t12's as their primary lighting. I like the look of blue led's, and run some Kessil pendants too, but there is nothing that compares to the purple glow of UVL Super Actinic. Simply the best IMHO.

Current Tank Info: Currently in reboot mode
Alex T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2013, 10:54 PM   #52
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Just want to know if you are going for broke and trying to beat me for the previous ETOTM record. Just asking Steve, just askin.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2013, 09:05 AM   #53
Alex T.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie aquarist View Post
just want to know if you are going for broke and trying to beat me for the previous etotm record. Just asking steve, just askin.
etotm?

Old 11/19/2013, 09:07 AM   #54
Newbie Aquarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex T. View Post
etotm?
Empty Tank of the Month

Old 11/19/2013, 09:12 AM   #55
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
Just want to know if you are going for broke and trying to beat me for the previous ETOTM record. Just asking Steve, just askin.
LOL....Im definitely going for broke on this one. I dont even want to come close your record for ETOTM Wayne! My house will be done sometime in February. Since we have our rental home until May 1st my wife has asked if I can get the tank set up and running before we move in so far be it from me to not grant one of my wife's wishes right????? I hope to get the tank ordered in the next few weeks and set up for a late February or early March delivery.

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2013, 09:14 AM   #56
Newbie Aquarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
LOL....Im definitely going for broke on this one. I dont even want to come close your record for ETOTM Wayne! My house will be done sometime in February. Since we have our rental home until May 1st my wife has asked if I can get the tank set up and running before we move in so far be it from me to not grant one of my wife's wishes right????? I hope to get the tank ordered in the next few weeks and set up for a late February or early March delivery.
Sounds like a winner. Did you decide who you are going with and if its going to be glass or acrylic?

Old 11/19/2013, 11:34 AM   #57
SPotter
Registered Member

it will definitely be acrylic

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Old 11/19/2013, 02:44 PM   #58
Newbie Aquarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
it will definitely be acrylic
Bon chika Bon chika Bon chika bow wow.

Old 11/19/2013, 03:49 PM   #59
Alex T.
Registered Member

For the guys with large acrylic tanks...

...are you going to try and keep the coralline off all the side and back panels or are you going to let it take over? I see a lot of acrylic tank owners let it grow for whatever reason. I notice that it loves my acrylic overflow cover much more than the glass.

Old 11/20/2013, 02:33 AM   #60
Newbie Aquarist

Quote:

...are you going to try and keep the coralline off all the side and back panels or are you going to let it take over? I see a lot of acrylic tank owners let it grow for whatever reason. I notice that it loves my acrylic overflow cover much more than the glass.
Just the back for me. That's why I am glad I went with external overflows. I plan on buying the mighty magnet pad that is especially made to remove coralline algae.

Old 11/20/2013, 04:41 AM   #61
chris_88
Registered Member

Thanks for the link for the flow diverter, I have been looking for an alternative for the oceans motion

chris_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2013, 04:50 AM   #62
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_88 View Post
Thanks for the link for the flow diverter, I have been looking for an alternative for the oceans motion
You're welcome! I got word mine shipped out from Spain yesterday so should have them sometime next week.

Old 11/20/2013, 04:56 PM   #63
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:

Since the back panel will be next to impossible to clean for me I was planning letting coralline grow and see if I can get a monti or gsp to grow on the back panel.

Old 11/21/2013, 02:23 AM   #64
Newbie Aquarist

My sides and fronts will be cleaned. I can get to the back panel if I have to but I like coralline on the back wall.

Old 11/26/2013, 09:14 AM   #65
SPotter
Registered Member

New equipment additions.....

Not too much to update but I did pick up some equipment that I will need for the new tank. I have been surfing the forsale threads looking for things that I will need to see if I can save some money.

New regulator.....

Dimmable ballasts...still need 2 more

I had planned on upgrading my skimmer to go with a bigger external unit and had sold my ATB skimmer but when I went to the storage unit I was pretty bummed about what I found when I unpacked it.....

I filled it up with water and a couple of the bigger cracks went all the way thru and after holding water for a few minutes began to leak. I will hold onto it now and try to use it. I did find out that ATB has a new N.A. distributor and they were contacted thru the online retailer I purchased my skimmer two years ago from. Unfortunately they are saying that I cant just replace the bottom part of the skimmer and I would have to purchase a whole new body that would cost $650...thats not happening. Hopefully my plans to either use a very large fuge or ATS along with building an LaCl3 reactor will allow me to continue to use this skimmer provided the cracks dont cause problems with its effeciency.

I've been resisting on the Black Friday Sales because I am limited on space to store items until we move into the house. I might go ahead and order my UV sterilizer now because that will be a big ticket so the savings will be nice. I am finalizng some details on the tank and hope to get that ordered in the next couple of weeks.

Old 11/26/2013, 09:40 AM   #66
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

I bet you could apply a thin coat of epoxy or something to seal up those cracks. Or maybe weld-on 40 applied with a brush. Messy but it would only cost $30-$40 and then it would be useable.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2013, 09:42 AM   #67
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
I bet you could apply a thin coat of epoxy or something to seal up those cracks. Or maybe weld-on 40 applied with a brush. Messy but it would only cost $30-$40 and then it would be useable.
Thanks Bud! I will definitely give that a try! Im sure it will function with no problems but selling it and shipping are out of the question at this point. Dont want to take any chances with it being dropped kicked and cracking even more.

Old 11/26/2013, 09:58 AM   #68
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

yep, then rough up with some 400 grit sandpaper, wipe clean, and skim-coat it with WO-40 and it will work as good as new. With the way you packed it I am surprised that anything happened. Who know with movers though right? Could have dropped the box flat on the bottom and that would have shown no damage to the box but all the energy would then have been transferred to the contents. If the box had been dropped on the corner it might have been OK.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2013, 10:10 AM   #69
SPotter
Registered Member

Thanks Bud! I will give that a try in the next week or so. I already called the movers to see if I could file a claim and since it was a box I packed myself guess what they said.....they aint responsible for it.

Old 11/26/2013, 05:44 PM   #70
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Calcium Reactor and MH! Going back to the basics I love it. Sorry about the skimmer but you know what they say (Honey, I had to buy a new one, the old one broke. The movers broke it!)

Old 11/26/2013, 05:47 PM   #71
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamc1303 View Post
Calcium Reactor and MH! Going back to the basics I love it. Sorry about the skimmer but you know what they say (Honey, I had to buy a new one, the old one broke. The movers broke it!)
Lol....I think if this one didnt cost so much I would've said that but since it was expensive I need to get what I can out of it. I didn't want to use the ca reactor on this one but given my twv, dosing will be too expensive. How's your tank doing? How's my buddy the dussumeri tang?

Old 11/26/2013, 07:14 PM   #72
Newbie Aquarist

Sorry for getting back so late. That's a bummer about your skimmer. I was gonna suggest Weldon 16 but Floyd knows best. Hope all goes well and you can save the skimmer.

Old 11/26/2013, 08:43 PM   #73
biecacka
Registered Member

Sorry about the skimmer buddy. I plan on letting my coraline grow on just the back of my tank as well

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2013, 09:17 PM   #74
Mike S
Registered Member

Nice grab on the regulator. I've been wanting to pick up one. Did you have a MTC Pro Cal? Are you running a pH controller on it?

Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2013, 07:10 AM   #75
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Nice grab on the regulator. I've been wanting to pick up one. Did you have a MTC Pro Cal? Are you running a pH controller on it?
I am using the MTC ProCal reactor. Since its not drilled for a ph probe I did put an inline ph probe holder from MRC on it just so I could monitor the ph closer. I attached it to the line that connects the two chambers. I have a picture of how its hooked up somewhere and will look for it.

Here is where I bought the probe holder from......

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/my-...obe-holder-tee