Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/30/2014, 05:11 AM   #951
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Was the coral recently stung in that area or otherwise damaged? Is there an anemone nearby?

If not, it looks like a bacterial infection. I would take it out and dip it in something like CoralRx, iodine, TMPCC, Revive, etc.

Is the area quickly growing? Over how long? What are your water parameters? Any fish nippers?

PADI Advanced Open Water Diver
Systems: 200g SPS-dominant, 75g Rescue, 30g QT, & 10g QT
MechEng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2014, 01:01 PM   #952
Mr.Eeks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnike View Post
My chalices don't like too much light or flow.
Maybe get it under a ledge for a while and see what happens, good luck.
Did a PWC on Friday, got him a little more shade. I don't think the flow would be too much were I have him but will see how the shade helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEng99 View Post
Was the coral recently stung in that area or otherwise damaged? Is there an anemone nearby?

If not, it looks like a bacterial infection. I would take it out and dip it in something like CoralRx, iodine, TMPCC, Revive, etc.

Is the area quickly growing? Over how long? What are your water parameters? Any fish nippers?
No 'nems in the tank, but he is probably 6 inches from a frogspawn. I just recently noticed the damage, maybe few days before the holidays. Doesn't seem to be getting rapidly larger, but I know the maroon tissue was larger when I purchased him back in probably July. As for fish I have a single clown (female committed suicide recently) and a fairy wrasse. I have not done any testing in a little while. But plan to Monday so will post most recent then, however I've never tested above nil for anything, little lower usually on dkH and pH but usually steady and within a good range. Also all my corals have been dipped prior to going in my tank with the Bayer method. Frogspawn, fire and ice zoas, a small chalice (not growing, not shrinking but I see the tentacles at night) and this larger chalice. All other seem to be doing well, I haven't ever dosed, and don't feed, though I did pick up some coral food to try.
Thanks

Mr.Eeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2014, 02:05 PM   #953
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Let us know how your water tests out. The frogspawn might've stung the coral - they can have very long sweeper tentacles. Also, Bayer is only useful on pests, not bacterial/viral issues.

Old 11/30/2014, 08:50 PM   #954
Mr.Eeks
Registered Member

NO3 - 0.0
PO4 - 0.25 (it wasn't quite that color but it was very slightly darker than 0.0)
pH - a hair lighter than 8.2 so maybe 8.1
dKH - 8
Ca - 460

Besides the NH3 and NO2 tests that all I have.
Here is a picture of where I have everything positioned, little hard to see but far left on top of rocks you can see my zoas, just left of center halfway up rocks is my smaller chalice, right of center and just below the clown is the troubled chalice, and far right is my frogspawn. After moving the larger chalice the other day he is in the same spot just more shaded, I slide that large boulder up a wee bit to mostly cover him from the light.
http://i.imgur.com/pb7hOyh.jpg

Old 11/30/2014, 08:51 PM   #955
Mr.Eeks
Registered Member

You can also see in that picture how much more maroon tissue there was than there is now.

Old 12/01/2014, 10:48 PM   #956
NickReef17
Registered Member

I love this, impressive job! were these bought at unsuccessful lfs or personal?

NickReef17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2014, 08:52 AM   #957
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickReef17 View Post
I love this, impressive job! were these bought at unsuccessful lfs or personal?
The ones I take in come from a variety of places. Sometimes LFS get a shipment in that was delayed due to bad weather, and the corals are all near death. Sometimes LFS have been the target of chemical attacks from upset customers or whatever, so I take in those as well. Other times, corals just get stung or get pests...both in hobbyist tanks and at LFS.

Old 01/09/2015, 07:20 PM   #958
Kyle918
Registered Member

Hey MechEng99. I bought this acan not too long ago that wasn't doing too hot but after a few days in the tank, it looked like the picture below. It continued to improve about another two weeks.

About a week later, the coral started to decline again. Eventually, I realized it was my cleaner shrimp stealing food and harassing the coral. I have since removed the cleaner shrimp and placed him in the sump until I take him back to a LFS.

The picture below was taken a few minutes ago. It has been two days since removing the shrimp. The coral doesn't look to be on its way up despite not being harassed. I have noticed a bit of bubble algae sprouting on the side and was going to remove the coral to clean that up and dip in CoralRx once again.

Is there anything else that I can or should do to help this coral out? All I have is some large bone cutters at the moment. I know from reading your posts that coral tend to grow new skeleton better than growing over old, jagged skeleton, which I do see since the middle has receded as much as it has. What is the best way to lesson that? Thanks man.

Tank established 02/16/14
Kyle918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2015, 07:49 PM   #959
ReefRescue
Registered Member

Kyle918
How much flow do you have in the tank?
Where is the coral sitting with respect to the flow
In the picture I can't be clear if it's bleaching as well?
You said that the shrimp was harassing it. What where you feeding it?
How long has it been since it started declining?

ReefRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2015, 08:16 AM   #960
Kyle918
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRescue View Post
Kyle918
How much flow do you have in the tank?
Where is the coral sitting with respect to the flow
In the picture I can't be clear if it's bleaching as well?
You said that the shrimp was harassing it. What where you feeding it?
How long has it been since it started declining?
I have two Tunze 6025, so around 24-27x the turnover rate taking into account the return. The coral is right in the middle of the tank and receives moderate indirect flow. It appears some of it is bleaching, but just the center most head. I cannot see the mouth of that head, just a very small side of it that still inflates a bit each day. I sometimes see a few feeding tentacles come out.

I was feeling the coral pellets and mysis. I also have reef chili. The shrimp was fed pellets and wafers and of course whatever else he found. I would say the shrimp was well fed but just figured out there is always good there. Even after the mouth was closed, he would wander over and harass the coral to open its mouth and steal the food from each polyp.

It has been declining now just going on two weeks I'd say. I realized it was the shrimp when I witnessed him do this about a week ago. Took a few days to get him out though.

Tank established 02/16/14
Kyle918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2015, 06:54 PM   #961
dsmhero
Registered Member

Figured I'd post an update:

Unfortunately I don't have a before picture but this was half gone when a hammer fell on it at the LFS, so I bought it for $20 hoping to save it. I'd say it is looking much better.

dsmhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2015, 10:53 AM   #962
paul87
Registered Member

Here is a lobo I purchased at a bad LFS. I've had it about 4 months. It's finally starting to regrow missing flesh and color up.

Before:

Now:

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2015, 10:57 AM   #963
dsmhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
Here is a lobo I purchased at a bad LFS. I've had it about 4 months. It's finally starting to regrow missing flesh and color up.

Before:

Now:
Very nice

dsmhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2015, 02:33 AM   #964
AcroDesCoraux
Registered Member

Wow great thread. tagging along.

AcroDesCoraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2015, 05:51 PM   #965
AcroDesCoraux
Registered Member

Unhappy

Hi guys,

My rainbow Acan just got stung by my Orange Crush Acanthastrea echinata in my frag tank, and I thought they were from the same family but I guess they still sting each other. So I dipped it in Iodine for 5 minutes this morning as soon as I noticed it, and I was just wondering if someone had Acans that survived from being stung before? Or any advice on what to do?
Sorry the pictures are not great but you can see that it's covered of slime and doesn't really look like an Acan anymore, on the second picture the orange Echinata coral on the right is the one that stung it.
Thank you so much!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3491.jpg (58.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3492.jpg (69.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3493.jpg (59.7 KB, 66 views)
AcroDesCoraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2015, 06:04 PM   #966
ReefRescue
Registered Member

AcroDesCoraux
It's a bid of waiting game for the next day or two. Depending on how badly it was stung. The slime is usually what most corals will produce immediately after any kind of stress to protect themselves.
If the slime has not subsided by tomorrow the I would take it out and see if it has any foul smell and if it does then I would brush off the dead tissue and dip it again, I believe there is more then one head on the picture posted and if only one was stung the others should survive.
Good luck and keep us posted

ReefRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2015, 08:26 PM   #967
deaddat
Registered Member

Kind of rescued brain...My brain darkened for a long time and is now regaining colors after changing lights.

12/31 - 1/17

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-31.jpg (71.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 1-17.jpg (67.2 KB, 80 views)
deaddat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2015, 08:10 PM   #968
Philly_Reefer
Registered Member

I have stalked this thread long enough, I love this thread, I need to get some pics, but have learned and used info from here to save corals. mainly acans. ty everyone for idea and advice

Philly_Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2015, 02:54 AM   #969
xruss
Registered Member

Hello!
I just found your website and this thread.
I am amazed what you have done for these corals to bring them back to life.

I have recently bought an Acanthophyllia, that seemed to be really cool becouse of its colour..

Several days later i realized that the coral was "bleached".. i keep on feeding it now with brine shrimp and mysis since 1 month, nearly everyday - it is not getting better.

Then i realized that the tissue went of right at that spot where i glued it, but the coral doesnt like the glue at all, the tissue ripped nearly instantly again at that spot also it looked very bad after that..

The tissue also was ripped of at one of its sharp edges when i bought it, i removed the sharp edge but the coral has a realy hard time growin over it.

Altough is mouth is always opened now, it reacts to food and blows itself a little bit up, so the mouth is closed and it will take the food that lies on the mouth by itself.
It also diggests the food, but im curious about when it will start to regenerate..

Sadly, i have no dip available cause here where i live, no one knows about this method.. Seems i have to buy bayer from the usa and ship it over here.

Also i have an little bubble coral that i want to rescue, it is accepting food, so i keep on feeding it and look what comes out.

Greetings from Austria!

xruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2015, 09:12 PM   #970
burakko
Registered Member

Hi awesome job guys!!! I have a Trachyphyllia that is missing 1 mouth the other is fine and eating but the other half has flesh but missing the mouth and wont expand tentacles. I need to sand down a little bit where the mouth was but i don't know what to use to sand it down? Dremel?

burakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2015, 05:46 PM   #971
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

Rescue Corals

Here are my rescue corals. The scoly is doing well because I have had it for two weeks, i am going to file down the dead skeleton. The wellso is also doing great (was totally white) and the encrusting coral (name slips me) was a few polyps but is now totally healed. The acanthophyllia and pink goni are newcomers today, both in horrible shape. Let's see if I can bring these back.

FMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallons of frags... 30 gallon Deep Blue mixed reef ... 70 other tanks throughout south FL
Reeferz412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2015, 07:48 PM   #972
johnike
Moved On

Good for you Alex, and welcome to the rescue thread!!

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2015, 08:55 AM   #973
DEA Coral
Registered Member

I suspect my peppermint shrimp or dwarf hermits taking food from my acans after feeding, sometimes the acan heads get torn up from this food theft (this is only the second time). I have not added anything to my tank in six months and everything is thriving. Just after feeding this week one acan was torn up really bad. I feed everyone else before I slip the corals their share. I suppose the shrimp and hermits could use some more then I have been giving them. Seems like a hazard to be a shrimp/crab messing with my coral...but their brains are so small, they underestimate the danger. I dipped the affected coral as a precaution and got some more food for the starving population. I only spot feed fresh seafood (shrimp, scallop, muscles, missis shrimp, brine shrimp) to my tanks every two days. I think a daily ration for the shrimp would be better. They are so eager to grab the food I give them already, like a hostage getting back their freedom.

-80gal Marine Frag tank, ReefBreeders 48

Last edited by DEA Coral; 02/13/2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: cause I can...
DEA Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2015, 02:41 AM   #974
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnike View Post
Good for you Alex, and welcome to the rescue thread!!
Thanks john, I saw you posted way back when on this thread. I'm late to the party but some of the rescue stories on this thread are nothing short of amazing. I think I have found my new thread to stalk and sub to.

My wellso is beginning to show a lot more feeder tentacles during feeding... at 3 am.... thats the only time I can get it to eat. I brought another newcomer which I doubt will make it but I figure I would give it a shot... a blasto colony that is not doing well at all.

FMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallons of frags... 30 gallon Deep Blue mixed reef ... 70 other tanks throughout south FL
Reeferz412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2015, 08:36 AM   #975
Fish Ed
Registered Member

Nice thread! I'm tagging along.
This is an Acan echinata I got for free, it was broken off the mother colony in the shop and melting away.

Before(several months ago 2014):
It only had 1 polyp.

Today:
It has 4 polyps now.

Now I'm rescuing this Fungia

Fish Ed is offline   Reply With Quote