Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/10/2015, 09:28 AM   #1001
mynorrodas
Registered Member

Trying to save this!

Any advice?

mynorrodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2015, 06:54 PM   #1002
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Any idea what happened to it? Looks like simple stress in the best case. In the worst case, it looks like something (fish/crab/shrimp) went after food in the mouth and beat it up.

If the mouth is still intact, it should recover really fast. If it isn't, well...cross your fingers. See if it'll take food.

PADI Advanced Open Water Diver
Systems: 200g SPS-dominant, 75g Rescue, 30g QT, & 10g QT
MechEng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2015, 04:34 PM   #1003
Typography
Registered Member

So many amazing saves here.

Typography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2015, 01:55 AM   #1004
aquascapelove
Registered Member

Currently I'm trying to save a Frogspawn that got a brown jelly infection... Any suggestions? I opened a thread about it but when I saw you all talking about rescuing corals I thought I'd ask in here as well.

aquascapelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2015, 03:18 PM   #1005
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

Pull it out into a bucket of tank water try to suck the slime off with a turkey baster. Whatever you suck out throw away into another bucket or sink. Proceed to dip with iodine in another bucket of tank water.

FMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallons of frags... 30 gallon Deep Blue mixed reef ... 70 other tanks throughout south FL
Reeferz412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2015, 09:14 PM   #1006
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

I'm not fully convinced that "brown jelly" really even exists. No one has identified the cause 100%. It may just be the zooxanthallae and tissue dying.

Regardless, I'd dip the coral in CoralRx or iodine as mentioned. Try to remove as much of the infected tissue as possible. Pictures would help.

Old 03/12/2015, 10:39 PM   #1007
paul87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEng99 View Post
I'm not fully convinced that "brown jelly" really even exists. No one has identified the cause 100%. It may just be the zooxanthallae and tissue dying.

Regardless, I'd dip the coral in CoralRx or iodine as mentioned. Try to remove as much of the infected tissue as possible. Pictures would help.
The brown jelly is a strange thing. Its always a very bad thing though.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2015, 08:19 AM   #1008
aquascapelove
Registered Member

I started a thread here as soon as the problem arose. Pics and all parameters and info are there if people would please check it out and give me any info they have I would be SO GRATEFUL! http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2487941 Thank you to those who gave info!

aquascapelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2015, 01:31 PM   #1009
ozonegc
Registered Member

Hey guys i just wanted to share my scoly that i just picked up that i am trying to rescue. Not sure exactly what caused the initial recession. The coral is eating mysis shrimp. Last night i came home and the tentacles were out so that is a good sign. I wanted to know if anyone has had better success with different foods. I just had mysis and reef chili and felt liket he meaty mysis would be better for recovery. Let me know what you guys are using!!

Rescue Scoly

And the side which is probably the worst.
Rescue Scoly

ozonegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2015, 07:22 AM   #1010
Fish Ed
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi FishEd - are those new rescues? Yikes, but they look like they'll recover well; they're notoriously hardy!
Sorry for the late reply
Yup, they were new rescues. It's been almost 2 week and they seem to be recovering quite well since then.

Fish Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2015, 06:54 PM   #1011
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonegc View Post
Hey guys i just wanted to share my scoly that i just picked up that i am trying to rescue. Not sure exactly what caused the initial recession. The coral is eating mysis shrimp. Last night i came home and the tentacles were out so that is a good sign. I wanted to know if anyone has had better success with different foods. I just had mysis and reef chili and felt liket he meaty mysis would be better for recovery. Let me know what you guys are using!!
That barely qualifies! It's looking great!! I bet within a month it'll be back to its original state. Mysis is good, but I use a mixture of raw seafood and seaweed.

Old 03/22/2015, 11:45 PM   #1012
ozonegc
Registered Member

Quote:
That barely qualifies! It's looking great!! I bet within a month it'll be back to its original state. Mysis is good, but I use a mixture of raw seafood and seaweed.
Well it is my first tank and first rescue so i didnt want to try and bite more than i could chew. I got it for 35 and the pictures for sure do no justice to the coral cuz the corals are super bright. So i should feed it like every other day or couple days? Can you over feed the coral? Sorry for being a noob

Old 03/23/2015, 11:21 AM   #1013
ozonegc
Registered Member

I was able to get the scoly for 35 which i think is a steal for a bleeding apple.

Old 03/23/2015, 06:06 PM   #1014
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

Quote:
I was able to get the scoly for 35 which i think is a steal for a bleeding apple.

That is a steal. That's better than wholesale price.

FMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallons of frags... 30 gallon Deep Blue mixed reef ... 70 other tanks throughout south FL
Old 03/24/2015, 08:11 PM   #1015
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Quote:
Well it is my first tank and first rescue so i didnt want to try and bite more than i could chew. I got it for 35 and the pictures for sure do no justice to the coral cuz the corals are super bright. So i should feed it like every other day or couple days? Can you over feed the coral? Sorry for being a noob
Wow, that's nuts for the condition and coloration! Great deal!

I would only feed it about 1-2x per week. If a coral is overfed, it'll just puke it out. I saw one case where someone overfed the coral to the point where the skeleton broke (really have to wonder if the person was shoving the food in or something), but that's it.

Old 03/24/2015, 09:54 PM   #1016
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

Doing a lot better!

FMAS Member

Old 03/25/2015, 07:53 PM   #1017
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Fantastic!!!

Old 03/30/2015, 03:32 AM   #1018
Kamikolopopo
Registered Member

I took this piece from my dad's aquarium as it was doing very poorly (as do most hammer corals) and am trying to save this piece in my tank even though my parameters aren't optimal at all for now.
Nitrate is 20+ because I'm in the middle from transitioning from a fowlr to a LPS/Leather tank. I'm doing a daily 10% waterchange to hopefully decrease nitrates fast. Ca/KH/Mg/K/B/I2 are all good.

How would you try to save this coral? I tried spraying some Artemia in it, but it wouldn't stick nor eat it. I was thinking of placing a bottle over it and just soak it with food for a few mins in the evening.

Sorry for the bad picture, mobile phone and LED are not friendly to each other.
The coral is Plerogyra sinuosa

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knipsel.JPG (23.8 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Kamikolopopo; 03/30/2015 at 04:24 AM.
Kamikolopopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2015, 09:20 PM   #1019
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Sorry for the late reply! How's it doing now? What do you mean by "CA/KH/Mg/K/B/I2 are all good"? What exactly are the levels?

If it isn't taking food, don't force it. You can coax it to eat by turning off all flow and covering it with food (use a bottle if you have creatures that'll steal the food), but remove the uneaten food and turn the flow back on after about 20 minutes.

Definitely get those nitrates down. That alone usually won't kill an LPS, but it doesn't help either.

Any idea exactly *why* the coral wasn't doing well in your dad's tank?

Old 04/04/2015, 02:51 PM   #1020
Taipan
Registered Member

Unhappy Scolymia.....

This piece is not near death....but it certainly isn't happy. I "rescued" it from the lfs as I see some interesting potential in it (notice the center and the veins of colour that could form ). Let's see what happens over time. I've provided a "blue" lighting picture and a "white" lighting picture with camera flash.

Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2015, 10:06 PM   #1021
Whodini
Registered Member

Help me save my duncan!

Came home a couple of days ago and noticed a rip in the flesh of my duncan. I think it was getting too much flow. I've since moved it, but the rip is getting worse day by day, even if the coral is behaving normal otherwise.

I was thinking about superglueing around the rip so it doesn't spread anymore. Is this a bad idea?

You can see the progression over 3 days here:http://imgur.com/a/ai0Re

It looks even worse today.

Whodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2015, 08:59 AM   #1022
Whodini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodini View Post
Came home a couple of days ago and noticed a rip in the flesh of my duncan. I think it was getting too much flow. I've since moved it, but the rip is getting worse day by day, even if the coral is behaving normal otherwise.

I was thinking about superglueing around the rip so it doesn't spread anymore. Is this a bad idea?

You can see the progression over 3 days here:http://imgur.com/a/ai0Re

It looks even worse today.
Anyone have any advice for me? I'm starting to think it might be my emerald crab.

Whodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2015, 08:14 AM   #1023
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Whodini - It does look like something is picking at it or got hit by direct flow. Have you seen the emerald go after it? I had a rogue emerald crab once that started eating corals when he got really big. Try watching at night after the lights are off.

If the coral seems healthy otherwise, I wouldn't bother supergluing it. If the tissue is flapping around, and the coral is bothered by it, then I would. Corals in a healthy system usually recover well on their own with no intervention.

Old 04/12/2015, 01:46 PM   #1024
UKMarineGuy
Registered Member

Hi,

I love this thread, lots of good stories and amazing recoveries... Ive saved 2 scolly's so far and about to start a third, can i ask what foods, dosing etc do you all recommend? I've heard that adding amino's etc would be beneficial, if so which ones? At the moment i target feed cyclopese and mysis which has so far been good.

Cheers,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11051799_10152750473041643_6150377453944261504_n.jpg (59.3 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by UKMarineGuy; 04/12/2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added attachment
UKMarineGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2015, 06:26 PM   #1025
UKMarineGuy
Registered Member

Oh can i also ask about the super-gluing... How do you apply this? Just run some around the edge where the recession is? I'm worried about performing that so can you confirm before i carry this out MechEng99? Also what would your steps be for getting this scolly back to health?

Cheers,