Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 12/10/2017, 06:30 PM   #1
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,503
How to treat for flukes when Prazi wonít touch them?

I have had a persistent issue with what I believe to be flukes. Mainly angels and butterflies appear to be affected. Fins are always cloudy with tiny dots on them. Definitely not Ich. Iíve tried an enormous amount of prazi, both liquid and powder with no difference. Wrasses appear unaffected. Been like this for almost 6 months. Any ideas on what to treat with?


pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2017, 07:25 PM   #2
enzo1028
Registered Member
 
enzo1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 15
Freshwater dips


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


enzo1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2017, 07:27 PM   #3
cch1321
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 29
If prazi isn't working, you may have to pull them and treat them in a qt. Hyposalinity is highly effective on flukes. Something to note is that if you only treat the symptomatic fish, they may contract the illness again once reintroduced to the main system.

Best solution would be a hypo treatment on all fish and a fallow period, as annoying as that would be.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk


__________________
90 Gallon Mixed Reef (Becoming SPS as we speak)
2x 400W 10k Halides, Reef Octo extreme 200
UNC-Wilmington Marine Biology Class of '09

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon mixed reef (Moving towards the SPS side of things)
cch1321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2017, 07:52 PM   #4
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by cch1321 View Post
If prazi isn't working, you may have to pull them and treat them in a qt. Hyposalinity is highly effective on flukes. Something to note is that if you only treat the symptomatic fish, they may contract the illness again once reintroduced to the main system.

Best solution would be a hypo treatment on all fish and a fallow period, as annoying as that would be.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk
Iím fine with running the display in hypo. All i have invert wise are Anemones. But I can easily move them to another tank. Just want something guaranteed to work. Only issue is I have 2 Choati wrasses and Iím hesitant to do hypo on them with their reputation of being sensitive to alk swings.


pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2017, 07:56 PM   #5
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,503
Is there any med that could be used in a FOWLR that is 100% effective for flukes?


pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2017, 09:36 PM   #6
lagatbezan
Registered Member
 
lagatbezan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 901
Any other symptoms like flashing, cloudy eyes, rapid breathing or other symptoms?
Have you done a freshwater dip to confirm that it's definitely flukes?
There are strains of flukes that are immune to prazipro so other alternatives would be hypo and formalin.


__________________
300g with velocity t4 for return and a Reflo dart on a closed loop, T5 lights & SRO3000 skimmer.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2017, 09:56 PM   #7
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagatbezan View Post
Any other symptoms like flashing, cloudy eyes, rapid breathing or other symptoms?
Have you done a freshwater dip to confirm that it's definitely flukes?
There are strains of flukes that are immune to prazipro so other alternatives would be hypo and formalin.
Iíve done fresh water dips on one fish. Didnít notice anything come off for sure. Not sure what else it could be at this point though. If it was velvet every fish would have been long dead by now, itís definitely not ich. Not sure what other possibilities it could be.


pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2017, 11:50 PM   #8
Jdub968
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 386
If your not producing anything after a fw dip and you have used prazipro several times imo you don't have flukes. White spots on the fins and you say it's not ick for sure ! Why? Is there flashing scratching heavy breathing ect? Also post some pics


Jdub968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 12:34 AM   #9
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub968 View Post
If your not producing anything after a fw dip and you have used prazipro several times imo you don't have flukes. White spots on the fins and you say it's not ick for sure ! Why? Is there flashing scratching heavy breathing ect? Also post some pics
No flashing, and I know what ich looks like. It’s not ich. No way to get it to show up in a pic. It’s barely visible.


pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 06:43 AM   #10
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict
 
Dmorty217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vandalia OHIO
Posts: 10,763
Mardel clout is what I use now instead of Prazi because of the same issue you're having. I must have used 200 grams of Praziquantel powder on a batch of fish I had that never did anything to the flukes even at 2xs the recommended dose.


__________________
Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 2 MP60s, MP40, and a Tunze 6305. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 07:56 AM   #11
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Mardel clout is what I use now instead of Prazi because of the same issue you're having. I must have used 200 grams of Praziquantel powder on a batch of fish I had that never did anything to the flukes even at 2xs the recommended dose.


Thanks Iíll give that a try next week. Just have to pull the Anemones for a few weeks hopefully


pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 08:36 AM   #12
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict
 
Dmorty217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vandalia OHIO
Posts: 10,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Thanks Iíll give that a try next week. Just have to pull the Anemones for a few weeks hopefully
Just be sure and follow the directions, its some serious stuff. I have not had any negative effects from it on any fish I have treated,but it has Trichlorfon in it and that has been responsible for some mishaps with public aquariums in the past few years.


__________________
Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 2 MP60s, MP40, and a Tunze 6305. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 09:27 AM   #13
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,503
Any idea on how bad it is on the biological filter? I don’t want to treat in a QT because of how sensitive the Choati are to change. I’m fine with doing big, frequent water changes if I have to though.


pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 10:09 AM   #14
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict
 
Dmorty217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vandalia OHIO
Posts: 10,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Any idea on how bad it is on the biological filter? I donít want to treat in a QT because of how sensitive the Choati are to change. Iím fine with doing big, frequent water changes if I have to though.
Doesn't hurt the bio filtration at all.


__________________
Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 2 MP60s, MP40, and a Tunze 6305. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 10:28 AM   #15
Jdub968
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
No flashing, and I know what ich looks like. Itís not ich. No way to get it to show up in a pic. Itís barely visible.

Ok no flashing does this mean they are scratching and breathing heavy? The reason I'm persistent is because tiny white spots are not a usual fluke symptom! And I'm concerned you may be treating something that don't don't need treatment or needs another treatment all together.
Also praziquantel along with antibiotics can all be broken down by the bio film in a tank this is another reason for treating in a sterile qt. know don't get me wrong a lot of people treat in DT so in your case were you have used prazipro numerous times it will be ineffective in the DT


Jdub968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 10:30 AM   #16
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub968 View Post
Ok no flashing does this mean they are scratching and breathing heavy? The reason I'm persistent is because tiny white spots are not a usual fluke symptom! And I'm concerned you may be treating something that don't don't need treatment or needs another treatment all together.
Also praziquantel along with antibiotics can all be broken down by the bio film in a tank this is another reason for treating in a sterile qt. know don't get me wrong a lot of people treat in DT so in your case were you have used prazipro numerous times it will be ineffective in the DT
Any other thoughts of what it could be?


pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 10:32 AM   #17
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Doesn't hurt the bio filtration at all.
Ok. Wonít do any permanent damage as far as bringing back the Anemones after multiple water changes and carbon right?


pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 11:50 AM   #18
Jdub968
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 386
Well I'm trying to help but I need more info on heavy breathing and scratching? How long have these dots been present ? Do they come and go? If so about how many days will a spot be present approximately before going away?


Jdub968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 01:06 PM   #19
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict
 
Dmorty217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vandalia OHIO
Posts: 10,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Ok. Won’t do any permanent damage as far as bringing back the Anemones after multiple water changes and carbon right?
Correct. Clout also treat several other ailments including Protozoans


__________________
Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 2 MP60s, MP40, and a Tunze 6305. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 01:06 PM   #20
lagatbezan
Registered Member
 
lagatbezan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 901
could be lympho.


__________________
300g with velocity t4 for return and a Reflo dart on a closed loop, T5 lights & SRO3000 skimmer.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 04:39 PM   #21
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Correct. Clout also treat several other ailments including Protozoans
Yea, thatís another benefit I was reading about. Still a little worried about the Choatiís though.


pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 05:50 PM   #22
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict
 
Dmorty217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vandalia OHIO
Posts: 10,763
I get your worry with the wrasse, I have treated a lot of fish with this but never a chaoti. I tend to avoid most wrasse due to the fact they don't take chloroquine well and I'm not a fan of copper or TTM personally. (Fish go on hunger strikes every time I have used copper and I'm 1 for 4 when TTM.


__________________
Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 2 MP60s, MP40, and a Tunze 6305. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 06:43 PM   #23
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
I get your worry with the wrasse, I have treated a lot of fish with this but never a chaoti. I tend to avoid most wrasse due to the fact they don't take chloroquine well and I'm not a fan of copper or TTM personally. (Fish go on hunger strikes every time I have used copper and I'm 1 for 4 when TTM.
Iím going to try a half dose and then if everything looks ok after a few hours add the other half.


pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014