Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/29/2018, 08:54 PM   #426
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
I got a Non-Coral. Jawbreaker Mushroom
Really nice Non-Coral. I wonder how the name "JawBreaker" came about? (Colorful with a Center)

Do you wear sunglasses to look at it? Looks fantastically Neon Bright!!!
I can see it in your Full Tank Shot (photo#3), at Top left.

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2018, 01:10 AM   #427
Rakie
Registered Member

Thanks Wally, yeah you spotted him quick in the side FTS -- that little guy is all POP. He's got a purple mouth, and will develop red and green streaks as it ages. So orange, red, green swirls with a purple mouth. It'll look like a jawbreaker when it gets older

Old 02/04/2018, 12:49 AM   #428
Rakie
Registered Member

So then. Whats going on?

First -- My cleaner shrimp is MIA. He had what looked like a bad molt. He managed to molt, but he's MIA. Kinda sucks, he was a good shrimp. Didn't mess with anything, didn't steal food from corals. Ah well.

Besides that -- Bryopsis.

fluconazole seems to help a lot, but it never does the trick 100%, it will sit in waiting, and as soon as we get a nice hot day the stuff springs to life. annoying. As of now, i'm hitting it with a 1/2 dose of Fluconazole, and spot treating with h202 in an effort to kill it off.

Lastly -- I've got 3 corals I need to chisel off my rockwork. They've been voted off the island, and need to go.

Old 02/04/2018, 09:59 AM   #429
reefmutt
Registered Member

Why hit the bryopsis with a half dose?? You may be acclimating it to the fluco.. like not carrying through with antibiotics... making the bryopsis resistant the the fluco..
Why not hit it hard?
It’s only been several months but the two tanks I treated for bryopsis have no signs of it..

Could the shrimp be in deep hiding? They usually get very secretive after a molt..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 4x AI prime 6xt5 3x150w mh. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2018, 12:08 PM   #430
Rakie
Registered Member

Matt -- I actually killed a bunch of frags with fluconazole. After awhile they stop dealing with it so well. Also, I only had a half dose left.

Not sure what it was, but after prolonged exposure at a normal dose, perhaps a slightly high dose (not sure) my SPS really started hating life. This bryopsis is extremely stubborn. People say with Flucon it's dead in a few days. For me, it takes 3-4 weeks.

No clue why this is so stubborn. Even my buddies who've used the same flucon don't have this issue.

Old 02/04/2018, 06:34 PM   #431
reefmutt
Registered Member

Wow.. don’t let that strain out!
We may have to put your whole house on quarantine!!
Yellow tape, hazmat suits, military...
for the good of the many!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 4x AI prime 6xt5 3x150w mh. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Old 02/04/2018, 09:57 PM   #432
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
So then. Whats going on?

First -- My cleaner shrimp is MIA. He had what looked like a bad molt. He managed to molt, but he's MIA. Kinda sucks, he was a good shrimp. Didn't mess with anything, didn't steal food from corals. Ah well.
I guess you know this but whenever my cleaner shrimps molt they hide for a while since they are vulnerable till their new shell toughens up.

He might come out a few days. This just happened to me a few days ago.....He wasn't even coming out for feeding time (and tonight he showed up).

Sorry to hear about your other problem too. Sucks when things take dip on the negative side.

I have lots of experience in things going bad. I even started a thread documenting the various things that went bad in my Kitchen Tank over last 15 years.

https://www. reef 2 reef .com/threads/90-gallon-mixed-lps-tank-15-year-journey-to-%E2%98%85success%E2%98%85-every-accident-disaster-problem.326397/#post-4143189

Might make you feel better reading it

Old 02/04/2018, 11:07 PM   #433
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Nah, I'm afraid I didn't! I definitely don't need any more gear! Although the $40 sump was calling my name... It would have been perfect with a few mods.

Besides, being naturally untalented at building and DIY in general means I had about 30 minutes worth of work that took all day and 4 trips to home depot I'll take any suggestions on this setup, lol.

The eShopps ghost overflow looks perfect with gloss black background. It's almost invisible! almost..

Here's the backside of it!

Plumbing -- I'm going to add unions on the other PVC tubes to make it easier to disassemble. (mock setup, not glued yet)

Plumbing inside -- I'm going to make the bottom of the pipes equal lengths (Still not glued)

Next I'm going to clean up the sump, and probably do a few small modifications while I'm at it. I'm going to move one wall over a smidge to make room for the skimmer. I'm also going to try and use a strip of Acrylic to make chamber 1 (overflow) flow directly into Chamber 2 (skimmer) instead of chamber 2 & 3.
Hey Rakie,

I stumbled upon this from your early part of thread.
Good info, since I have a similar overflow setup on the way with the new tank.
All my tanks have outside HOSE (flexible) on the bulkheads (just a single on each tank)
I not sure how I'm going to hook up my overflow bulkheads (two of them at bottom of External Overflow box).

I do want to go flexible hose (at the Sump Entry point) since that allow be to do easier maintenance (like cleaning ATS by swinging hose over to 2nd compartment of SUMP).

I assume your setup is designed to control flow, and limit sound, or possibly run one overflow, and 2nd is on standby. Or you split the flow between two.
Maybe you can post your thoughts, adjustments/improvement you made (on this thread) (OR on my thread....which might be better to not side track things here).
Thanks.

Last edited by Wally.B; 02/04/2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02/04/2018, 11:18 PM   #434
Wally.B
Registered Member

oops. double post.

Old 02/05/2018, 12:34 AM   #435
Rakie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Wow.. don’t let that strain out!
We may have to put your whole house on quarantine!!
Yellow tape, hazmat suits, military...
for the good of the many!

Seriously. It's torturous. I'd be glad to be rid of it once and for all, but whenever it warms up (like now) it comes back with a vengeance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
I guess you know this but whenever my cleaner shrimps molt they hide for a while since they are vulnerable till their new shell toughens up.

He might come out a few days. This just happened to me a few days ago.....He wasn't even coming out for feeding time (and tonight he showed up).

Sorry to hear about your other problem too. Sucks when things take dip on the negative side.

I have lots of experience in things going bad. I even started a thread documenting the various things that went bad in my Kitchen Tank over last 15 years.

https://www. reef 2 reef .com/threads/90-gallon-mixed-lps-tank-15-year-journey-to-%E2%98%85success%E2%98%85-every-accident-disaster-problem.326397/#post-4143189

Might make you feel better reading it

My shrimp was always the opposite, he would molt overnight and be all out and about the next day. This time I couldn't keep the nassarious snails off of him.. They were trying to eat him.

Regardless, this was clearly a rough molt on him. Saw him trying to molt all day, and eventually saw him sucked onto the powerhead but since he always molts at night... I had no clue if he wanted to do that or not. Apparently some shrimp use the powerhead suction to keep them safe while molting, or to aid with the molt.. Either way, I moved him just in case -- may have been a bad move on my part.

Feel bad for the little guy -- He was the only cleaner I had that was perfectly behaved, social, got along with other shrimp, grew really quickly, didn't pester fish, and cleaned when the fish asked him to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Hey Rakie,

I stumbled upon this from your early part of thread.
Good info, since I have a similar overflow setup on the way with the new tank.
All my tanks have outside HOSE (flexible) on the bulkheads (just a single on each tank)
I not sure how I'm going to hook up my overflow bulkheads (two of them at bottom of External Overflow box).

I do want to go flexible hose (at the Sump Entry point) since that allow be to do easier maintenance (like cleaning ATS by swinging hose over to 2nd compartment of SUMP).

I assume your setup is designed to control flow, and limit sound, or possibly run one overflow, and 2nd is on standby. Or you split the flow between two.
Maybe you can post your thoughts, adjustments/improvement you made (on this thread) (OR on my thread....which might be better to not side track things here).
Thanks.

Well Wally I'm of the mindset that all information is useful, so I'll post here and then at your thread. Maybe it'll help someone someday -- that's my typical rationale for build threads at least.

YES -- It is designed to control flow, limit sound, AND run an emergency overflow while flow is split between the two non-red tubes.

SO -- That picture you linked was my initial idea, and NOT what I ended up with at all. I'm using flex hose myself. It helps with sound, and honestly my first attempt at gluing PVC resulted in a bunch of crooked ugly looking PVC.. Flex hose helped take me out of the equation!

Here is the finished plumbing

So I have 3 pipes here. The U-Tube overflow, and white straight overflow are engaged actively at all times.

1) On the left tube (Right most side on the picture) you see I have the U shaped overflow. This guy is my full siphon overflow tube. I drilled a 3/16th hole on the very top to break the siphon if necessary. The idea here is the water level will ALWAYS be above this overflow tube keeping it a full siphon. Drilling the hole keeps it from being noisy, getting air stuck in the pipe, etc etc.

Gate valves are essential on the main overflow tube -- NOT ball valves. You need the precision of a gate valve to dial it in for sound and functionality.

2) The middle tube (white) is the 2nd tube. In my understanding, the goal of a bean animal is to have 1 full siphon, and a second tube taking a LITTLE water, and the 3rd as an emergency.

IF the gate valve is too open (low water level in overflow box) you'll get gurgling and 'chugging' sounds from the full siphon as the siphon breaks due to the hole at the top of it, as well as lots of bubbles. Too closed (water level high in overflow box) and the middle overflow tube becomes a noisy full siphon which chugs and gurgles. It also serves as a 'backup' drain, although it's actively in use already.

Having this overflow take a trickle of water also helps keep the slight ebb and flow of the overflow be 100% consistent, leaving the full siphon working 100% at all times, because the water level is static above the full siphon's hole.

3) Emergency overflow. Never engaged unless full siphon and middle tube are both clogged. Due to height, and it being a straight pipe, it will be very noisy, alerting me to the issue.

So basically, if the full siphon gets plugged the middle tube can handle all the flow on it's own, and the middle tube is a straight pipe so it will be noisy and produce some gurgling/chugging sounds. If the second pipe gets plugged as well, the emergency pipe will be engaged, and it will be VERY noisy.

Last edited by Rakie; 02/05/2018 at 12:41 AM.
Rakie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2018, 10:39 PM   #436
Wally.B
Registered Member

Thanks Rakie.

I learned something new.
Good to know you decided to go hoses instead of Hard Tubing, BUT I can start with Hard Tubing like you did.

Old 02/06/2018, 12:59 AM   #437
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:

Lastly -- I've got 3 corals I need to chisel off my rockwork. They've been voted off the island, and need to go.
Lol, how exactly does a coral go about getting voted off the island?

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 135 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 250W X2 20k radiums mixed SPS
five.five-six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2018, 11:18 AM   #438
Rakie
Registered Member

No problem wally, glad that little book I wrote helped clear things up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Lol, how exactly does a coral go about getting voted off the island?
I get something nicer, or decide what I had there was too humdrum. But removing them physically? They're literally at hammer and chisel stage LOL

Old 02/06/2018, 06:36 PM   #439
Rakie
Registered Member

So i found out which magnesium kills bryopsis -- Brightwell Aquatics Hydrat-Mg is literally from the same supplier as and creator of the original Tech-M from kent. So Hydrat-MG is the same content, including magnesium supplier of Kent Tech-M

Search: Reef Builders Treating Bryopsis with Brightwells Hydrat-MG

Last edited by Rakie; 02/06/2018 at 07:34 PM.
Rakie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2018, 07:30 PM   #440
five.five-six
Registered Member

Is it better than regular magnesium sulfate and magnesium chloride?

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 135 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 250W X2 20k radiums mixed SPS
Old 02/06/2018, 07:36 PM   #441
Rakie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Is it better than regular magnesium sulfate and magnesium chloride?
Oops, that was a copy paste from my thread on the other forum where we were talking about killing Bryopsis -- edited that last post for context.

Hydrat-MG kills bryopsis, just like the old Tech-M used to, because it has Lithium.

Old 02/10/2018, 05:08 PM   #442
Rakie
Registered Member

Bryopsis basically dead, again. I'm dosing some Brightwell Hydrat-MG (lithium) to help kill it off

IC - Kaleidoscope. Hard to get a good pic of it.

Hyacinthus table, with cameo from long cyano strand

JF Fox Flame, IC kaleidoscope below it, FHC ArchLight behind it, Pinky the Bear to the left of it

RRUSA Diablo -- The eternal encruster...

Old 02/11/2018, 02:51 PM   #443
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Real nice man!!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2018, 04:55 PM   #444
plyle02
Registered Member

Looking really good Rakie

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2018, 12:43 PM   #445
Wally.B
Registered Member

Rakie, Frags look great!!

Old 02/12/2018, 05:50 PM   #446
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Tank looks great! Great coloration on the corals, nice water movement... Now all you need is more time for them to grow out, and you'll have a box of color before you know it.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2018, 06:09 PM   #447
Pife
Registered Member

Those frags look great. How a out some top down pictures?

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2018, 08:29 PM   #448
Rakie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Those frags look great. How a out some top down pictures?
I'll definitely take some in the near future. I took a couple a week or two back but they pictures were a hair blurry.

Trying to get good at photography with an older point and shoot camera takes some practice lol

TGC Tropic Hurricane (I think...)

5.56 RAP colony frag

Small Pinky The Bear

Old 02/14/2018, 12:33 AM   #449
five.five-six
Registered Member

That RAP acro is a really slow grower in my tank too, I do love it's purple. Your pink is looking great in my tank, it's dumped the green it picked up the first week. It seem to be a slow grower too

"I hate that hole"

Old 02/16/2018, 04:55 PM   #450
reefmutt
Registered Member

Looking great, Rakie!
Let’s hope the bryopsis stays away!

Tags
build, radion, radion diffuser