Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/19/2013, 09:23 AM   #26
henrystyle
Registered Member

Whats the measurement for the Sentinal?
One pill to how many gallons of water?

Current Tank Info: 30g frag tank/120g sps dominant reef
henrystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2013, 09:25 AM   #27
henrystyle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williewilliams View Post
I also used sentinal about a year ago to treat red bugs in my tank and it works like a charm. I have not had an issue since.
What size system do you have?

Old 07/20/2013, 01:43 AM   #28
Six2seven
Registered Member

I've used the interceptor spectrum chewable tabs and worked perfectly. I had red bugs and did 3 treatments in 3 weeks. I lost crabs and some pods but that was expected even with the old interceptor. I saw no difference with the old flavor tabs.

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS reef tank, 180g FOWLR tank.
Six2seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2013, 05:02 PM   #29
henrystyle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six2seven View Post
I've used the interceptor spectrum chewable tabs and worked perfectly. I had red bugs and did 3 treatments in 3 weeks. I lost crabs and some pods but that was expected even with the old interceptor. I saw no difference with the old flavor tabs.
How much did you use and what size system do you have?

Old 07/22/2013, 01:28 PM   #30
rtbm
Premium Member

Generally the dosage is one 23mg pill for 300 gallons of water.

The sentinel pills would be the same

L.Person

Current Tank Info: 30x30 miracles starfire sps reef + 800 gal sps prop system
rtbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/28/2013, 06:11 PM   #31
Swirlygig
Registered Member

I do a routine treatment on my 125G full reef tank. I don't have red bugs but I can say it is reef safe. I have used Sentinel 3X on my 125 Full Mixed reef with Clams/BTA Anemones/Cucumbers/Snails/Feather dusters...I had zero issues...nothing died except my pods.

I highly recommend this as a substitute for Interceptor. Actually it did a better job! Usually interceptor will leave some pods alive that I can find, but this stuff annihilated all my pods...I put my emerald crabs back in after treatment with zero fatalities.

Highly suggest spreading the word on this as the next go to pest treatment.

Lufenuron is the other chemical in Sentinel. It is a Chitin inhibitor, which makes it much more effective. It is actually used to treat fish lice in Koi Fish.

1 Large dog pill should treat 400 Gallons.

Swirlygig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/14/2013, 05:38 PM   #32
regent2010
Registered Member

I have a 220g system may needs a treatment. I would put in 2/3 of a Sentinel Spectrum Large dogs pill, take the air tube off the skimmer n keep running, keep Biopellet & GFO running, dose it for 10 hrs, then 30 g water change & put charcoal in. repeat 2 times in 14days. correct??

regent2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2013, 02:24 PM   #33
rtbm
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regent2010 View Post
I have a 220g system may needs a treatment. I would put in 2/3 of a Sentinel Spectrum Large dogs pill, take the air tube off the skimmer n keep running, keep Biopellet & GFO running, dose it for 10 hrs, then 30 g water change & put charcoal in. repeat 2 times in 14days. correct??
I'd probably just use the whole pill for good measure, otherwise you are good to go.
Please let us know how it goes for you.

L.Person

Current Tank Info: 30x30 miracles starfire sps reef + 800 gal sps prop system
rtbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2013, 10:08 PM   #34
bigswordy
Registered Member

so the chitin inhibitor will attack anything with an exoskeleton more so than anything else correct? snails were fine? i have bugs and am looking for an extermination route... my vet is pretty cool so im going to stop by and ask for some sentinel...i should definitely remove the cleaner shrimp right?

bigswordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2013, 01:01 PM   #35
fio1022
Registered Member

Hi,
I'm about to order Interceptor online,
I just don't know which to buy.
Interceptor white or blue?
http://www.canadavetcare.com/interce...atment-54.aspx
http://www.vidalspets.com/epages/vid...ercbluetasty-3
Both for large dogs same active ingredients.
Thanks

Current Tank Info: 240g,64g acrylic sump/fuge,Neptune Sys Apex,AI Sol,Vortech MP40's,Reef Dynamics INS300,BPR50 ,GEO 612,etc....
fio1022 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2013, 05:44 PM   #36
mikea213
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigswordy View Post
so the chitin inhibitor will attack anything with an exoskeleton more so than anything else correct? snails were fine? i have bugs and am looking for an extermination route... my vet is pretty cool so im going to stop by and ask for some sentinel...i should definitely remove the cleaner shrimp right?
Did you try this yet? If so what were your results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by regent2010 View Post

mikea213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2013, 07:17 PM   #37
williewilliams
Registered Member

I did a treatment a few months ago and used 23mg for my 100g system. Sentinel is what I used. It killed all bugs/pods. No crabs or snails were killed. All sps and fish were fine, the sps did slime a bit. I left it in my system for 10 hrs, then did a 25% water change and ran new carbon. When doing the treatment I disconnected the fuge and sump so only the tank was treated and all seems to be doing great months later. My vet is super cool and gave me some prescribed to my fish tank on the last visit for my dog.

Current Tank Info: dual reef tanks, dual mp40s, dual 250se radiums with Cree 3watts, SRO1000lss. a few fish with lots of sticks
williewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2013, 07:18 PM   #38
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fio1022 View Post
Hi,
I'm about to order Interceptor online,
I just don't know which to buy.
Interceptor white or blue?
http://www.canadavetcare.com/interce...atment-54.aspx
http://www.vidalspets.com/epages/vid...ercbluetasty-3
Both for large dogs same active ingredients.
Thanks
I ordered some just to have on hand... These guys are legit and I ordered the product at the top.

http://www.equine-mega-store.com/cac....html?cache=no

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2013, 09:19 PM   #39
ianmcalpin
Registered Member

i heard you can get some stuff which is in a pill form from your vet but they recommended not to leave ur fish in. instead of ordering it.

ianmcalpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2013, 11:34 AM   #40
D-Nak
Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone had any updates. If Sentinel is working without any negative long term effects, that would be great news!

I have some Interceptor on order, but am hoping to switch to Sentinel since it's widely available.

Old 10/19/2013, 10:57 AM   #41
SirReefer
Registered Member

Wanted to report my experience with sentinel. Did my first treatment yesterday night 23mg on my 75g with 30g sump. I did try to catch my shrimp prior to this treatment but after a few failed attempts I decided to bite the bullet. All hermits gone, baby starfish gone, blood shrimp gone and best part is all the red bugs are gone. I've done dips before but after about a few weeks red bugs got worse so I decided to do this tank treatment. So far I have done 20% might do another 10% in a few I do notice skimmer is overflowing. Will have an update if something does occur so far so good

SirReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2013, 03:36 PM   #42
AL1
Registered Member

Hi, just picked up a tablet of sentinel today for large dogs. How did you go about the dosing amount? i am about to treat my 93gal cube, i have several sps pieces but and have noticed red bugs on a couple colonies. Need to rid the tank of em ASAP! im losing sleep over this. I have a clam, feather duster, coral banded shrimp and fire shrimp. also the basic clean up crew. will sentinel kill them all?? any suggestions...thanks much appreciated.

AL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2013, 06:35 PM   #43
SirReefer
Registered Member

I would suggest getting the clam and shrimp as well as cuc if you want to keep them. I used the whole pill which is 23mg in my 75g with 30g sump. It did kill blood shrimp, all pods, and hermit crabs which was expected but I just couldn't catch them. Fish and corals all survived and red bugs have not been seen since. I did my treatment last Friday and so far everything looks really good.

Old 10/24/2013, 10:40 PM   #44
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Why do I keep seeing people suggest against using this with clams in the tank... It will not harm clams and I've even heard of people seeing positive results with some ailing clams.

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2013, 08:43 PM   #45
AL1
Registered Member

That's awesome man thanks for the advice, I'm about to try and catch what I can and give it a go. Thanks again, I will let you all know how it goes. I will also do an entire large dog pill.

Old 10/27/2013, 09:53 AM   #46
AL1
Registered Member

Alright.....next day after dosing sentinel, not a red bug in sight....my fire shrimp and some other cuc that I wasn't able to get out all seem to be doing fine.

Old 10/29/2013, 07:32 AM   #47
SirReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL1 View Post
Alright.....next day after dosing sentinel, not a red bug in sight....my fire shrimp and some other cuc that I wasn't able to get out all seem to be doing fine.
Good to hear glad everything is doing good. Let me know how your sps are doing after a few days. I have one of my Millie not doing so well not sure exactly what it is..

Old 11/02/2013, 08:14 PM   #48
AL1
Registered Member

So far no bad effects seen, all fish and coral doing great! I have just one small blue Millie frag that seems to be doing good.

Old 12/07/2013, 01:58 AM   #49
terri_ann
Registered Member

Would like to know recommended dosage of Sentinel for 3 tanks:
160g
100g
60g

How long to treat...12 hours?
How much for a WC afterwards...25%?

Is protocol 3 separate treatments one week / 7 days apart?

Thank you!!

Current Tank Info: SPS dominated 135g, LPS & Softies dominated 40 Breeder. 30g (SPS) & 40g (Zoa's,LPS,Softies) frag tanks
terri_ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2013, 03:39 AM   #50
terri_ann
Registered Member

Also, those who are treating with Sentinel, did you remove a Mandarin Goby or keep it in the tank? Would like to know if the Mandarins can survive the treatments since they are such a sensitive fish :0)

Current Tank Info: SPS dominated 135g, LPS & Softies dominated 40 Breeder. 30g (SPS) & 40g (Zoa's,LPS,Softies) frag tanks
terri_ann is offline   Reply With Quote