Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/10/2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Tennyson
Registered Member

Question Serpent Star fish Behavior

I just purchased a serpent starfish about 2-3 days ago, and acclimated it fairly well (for about 1 hour and 45 minutes to two hours) It seems OK now, adn I know that its eating because it ate one of my dead/dying green chromises.

But I'm not sure whats wrong with it, or if this is normal behavior, but it keeps staying in a small cave, with only its arms sort-of out. It doesn't even come out at night.

Is this normal behavior of serpent starfish, I heard that after they are acclimated, they may look dead for 2-3 days, is this true?

Tennyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 06:37 PM   #2
black_majik
Registered Member

That is normal, almost all serpents I know of do that exact thing. Once food hits the water and the star gets used to it he will start darting out from the crevice plus they are nocturnal.

Current Tank Info: A couple: A 75 about to get a makeover, 20g Fish Holding Tank, 12g Reef W/ Anemones and yes Uncle Frosby they are indeed mushrooms.
black_majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Tennyson
Registered Member

I heard that they can be taught to come out during the day. How would I do that, does having more than one make them scavenge more?

Tennyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2008, 05:07 AM   #4
urbanthreatz
Registered Member

Mine only scavenged for a short while, i feed everyday and he knows in the morning to come out and start looking, i just made him a small cave in the front out of some live rock and i can redily see him whenever i look at the tank.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon system, zoanthid junkie, upgrading to a 65 soon.
urbanthreatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2008, 11:09 AM   #5
NewWorldWater
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tennyson
I heard that they can be taught to come out during the day. How would I do that, does having more than one make them scavenge more?
I'd imagine you'd do it just like any animal. Feed them at the same time each day. If you want it to come out during the day, feed it in the mornings/early afternoons.

NewWorldWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2008, 08:39 PM   #6
LaDonaDorada
Moved On

i had mine eating from my hand all the time ( red/brown brittle) very cool and fun when company came over. took some time to get him to do it but it was worth it. other then that though only saw him out in the open every once in a while.

LaDonaDorada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2008, 12:37 AM   #7
lancer99
Registered Member

Serpent/brittle stars are possibly the most chill of all reef residents.

They are by nature nocturnal, but also greedy little buggers, and will go for food like Robert Downey Jr. goes for crack.

If you want to train him to come out, put a reasonably sized (1/4" cube) of food close to wherever he's hiding....then repeat every day or couple of days, and gradually move it away.

As LDD mentioned, it's fun to feed them when company comes over. If you don't know how creepy their long curious legs are, it's pretty funny!

-R

lancer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2008, 01:25 AM   #8
benzreef
Registered Member

agreed!

benzreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2008, 09:20 PM   #9
boomsticks
Registered Member

I have to agree with lancer. I can hand feed mine clam. They litterally freak out about that stuff.

Current Tank Info: 55 gal reef, 24 cube
boomsticks is offline   Reply With Quote